The better Hawaiian dive trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaFlea

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings to all. this is a question for all the Hawaii based divers on the board.

My wife (non-diver) and I are thinking about a Hawaiian vacation and naturally I would like to get some diving in. I most enjoy underwater photography of reef and marine-life. Can you give me an idea of what kind of diving the different islands offer? Also, can anyone make any recommendations of hotels or dive resorts for the moderate budget.

My only experience in Hawaiian diving is on Oahu. I was certified there and remember Hanama(spelled wrg) Bay very well.

Thanks to all for your time. I do appreciate your help.

thx and happy diving.

Big Isle is my long time favorite with quality shore diving as well as the manta and black water dives. Many outdoorsy kinds of things to do. Maui has good shore and boat diving with more tourist kind of things to do. You know Oahu. Kauai is wonderful top side but the diving is not as great as some of the other islands. Good but not great.
Aloha and enjoy your visit!

Wildcard:
Big Isle is my long time favorite with quality shore diving as well as the manta and black water dives. Many outdoorsy kinds of things to do. Maui has good shore and boat diving with more tourist kind of things to do. You know Oahu. Kauai is wonderful top side but the diving is not as great as some of the other islands. Good but not great.
Aloha and enjoy your visit!

What wildcard said. Do moderate budget and Hawaii fit in the same catagory?

I hope I'm not Hijacking here. Is there a manta dive out of Maui? Maui seems to be centraly located for diving. Molokini is awesome. Black rock is a nice shore dive. Lani is a little further out but Cathedrals is cool.

Nope, just BI. You might see one from time to time but I doubt it. Big Isle is it's own world.

At least one dive op has claimed to have "Manta Way" as one of it's sites off the Maui shoreline. And yes, we did see mantas when we went there.

It's not touted too heavily, so I'm not sure if it's just inconvenient for the operators that know where it is (it's between Maalaea and Lahaina, and the ops that I've heard mention it are Mike Severns and Ed Robinson's -- both out of Kihei Boat Ramp).

Also keep in mind that it's a daytime sort of site... not like the Big Island's Manta Ray Night Dive.

It is very possible to do Maui on a moderate budget. Shop at Costco & Walmart for food, find a condo that has a kitchen (and gas grill) so you can cook your own meals. Food & accommodations could easily be had for $150-175 per day for two people... even oceanfront.

I stay at Kihei Bay Surf while on Maui. It's tiny studio apartments but I paid 40 bucks a day. Cheap is possible.

you can rent bikes at West Maui bike shop....getting around Lahaina is easier on bikes than a car, we thought. Nice, carbon fibre bikes too.

I stay at Lahaina shores condos, affordable if I have the tribe. Walking distance to the store, a whole range of eateries. The kids play basketball at the community center, etc.

$150-175 per day for two people... even oceanfront.

yea, about that and on the beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom