The best sites in South America?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Splint

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning on doing some travelling in South America in December 2010 and January 2010. I will primarily be doing the back packing thing and doing the occasional dive here and there as the opportunity arises.

I'm not clear on where I will be diving, obviously Galapagus is a must see site but as for other sites I dont know.

Is anyone able to give me a short list of the good sites as I'm finding it hard to get a clear idea of how good some sites are compared to others.

Thanks
Splint

Hi,

I'm planning on doing some travelling in South America in December 2010 and January 2010. I will primarily be doing the back packing thing and doing the occasional dive here and there as the opportunity arises.

I'm not clear on where I will be diving, obviously Galapagus is a must see site but as for other sites I dont know.

Is anyone able to give me a short list of the good sites as I'm finding it hard to get a clear idea of how good some sites are compared to others.

Thanks
Splint

Try Punta Sal in northern Peru........across from Ecuador........petty nice..........and south of Lima as well..............Then there is Brazil.......Rio has some fanstastic diving just off shore on those little islands and about 10 or 12 dive shops on the waters edge.......then north 2 hours by plane is Salvador de Bahia Brazil.........the bay has about 90 ship wrecks, most in a uw park.......some off shore about 100 yards.....these were sunk during a big battle between the Dutch and Portuguse about 450 years ago...lots of ghosts in the water...but there is a big freighter sunk in the middle that is nice to dive on......30-100 meters........

If your Spanish is good, even in Brazil you will do fine.............
Enjoy your trip.......

Oldmossback

In Colombia: Providencia Island, Gorgona Island, San Andres Island, Santa Marta and Taganga.

What do you mean only Wolf and Darwin in Galapagos. Fine if you have a spare $5000. The site off the island Santa Can can be awesome too. Gordon and Rocks and North Seymour have hammerheads too. Not as many as Wolf and Darwin I must say, but still very very nice. Go and talk to the guys at Academy Bay Diving, they are pretty good and know where to find the big animals.

Isla de cocos (equador) and malpelo (columbia) shark fests!! Cheaper to dive than galapagos and not as hard to get to but i think u need a permit to dive malpelo?? Galapagos obviously the topspot but is expensive and i believe there is a waiting list?? Some of my friends recommend west coast mexico diving if you are going up that far north?

In Brazil look at an island called "Fernando de Noronha".

Cheers

Galapagos offers so much for the diver...Wolf and Darwin are the best spots, but only if you can afford it, and have at least a week to spend in the islands (the cruises up to there are minimum one week). From Santa Cruz Island, the "town" of Puerto Ayora, you can do daily two-tank dive trips and stay at a local back packer hostel for much less $. Gordon Rocks, as mentioned above, is your best bet for hammerheads! Good luck and have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom