The best near miss is the one that happens on the boat, not on the wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reg Braithwaite

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I already posted a story about my most recent dive onto the Henry Daryaw:

...Let me tell you about the afternoon charter. There was supposed to be a lesson of some kind run by the charter shop, but it got cancelled leaving myself and two other walk-ons as the only people on the trip. Thus, we're diving as a group of three. Hmmm number one.

One of the other guys is diving dry and doubles, with experience diving the St. Lawrence and Atlantic Canada. He sounded solid, but he had a video camera, which is another hmmm. I will call him "Mr. Doubles."

The other guy announces that he's a fish lover not a wreck lover, so "don't be surprised if I stop to watch a fish and ignore the wreck." Ok, that's not a hmm, but I must admit I envy his subcutaneous insulation: he's diving a short pants, no hood, no gloves. The water is 70F, but this is the first time I've seen anyone that comfortable in it. He's obviously as comfortable as a fish, so I will call him "Pisces." That, and every diving story needs a Bond-type character with a trick nickname...

Here is the one part of that dive that went exceptionally well.

When briefing us on the Daryaw, the boat captain mentioned that the wreck is upside-down, and that the covers to the holds have been removed. So you can swim under the wreck, and some people swim up into the holds.

It seems that there is a huge air pocket in there, growing every time divers swim under the wreck with open circuit scuba. Their exhaust gas goes up into the hold and the air pocket grows a little bit more. It seems divers have great fun swimming up to the air pocket and shouting at each other.

Only--the captain warns us--don't actually breathe the stuff. No kidding. (I'm not suggesting the captain encouraged us to penetrate the wreck, BTW, just that he was describing the wreck and mentioned what people do when penetrating it).

Mr. Doubles and Pisces look at each other, then say they'd like to swim into the hold. I look at my gear again, just in case my single steelie has mutated into a pair of doubles. No luck there. My flashlight hasn't mutated into a canister light, it's still mighty useful for signalling someone or peering at a fish in a crack, but I wouldn't trust my life to it in an overhead environment without backup illumination.

And I have a wimpy little spool for my SMB, but I'm pretty sure it would snap like a spider's thread if laid into a steel wreck with sharp edges. Speaking of sharp edges, I'm diving a White's Fusion, it is basically a garbage bag with Lycra wrapped around it. I don't have the upgraded "tech skin" for protection against tearing it in a wreck and springing a serious leak.

But I don't want to spoil the party, so I tell my companions:

If you guys want to go into the hold together, I'll wait at the entrance for a minute or so shining my light at you. But if you go out of my sight, I'm returning to the surface without you.

They shrug and agree to skip the penetration, even though it's "easy" and "tons of people do it on singles." Considering what transpired later, I think I'm happy this "near miss" happened during the briefing.

Good write-up. I do the same thing as you. If the others wanna go in, I'll shine my light at the other end or at the opening, but I ain't going in on a single and without running a line. I know it sounds like overkill but after I read some guys account of going in and almost "buying it" from a silt-out I will never do it.

Good call on your part.

Now if I could recall where I read that account of someone only going in to have a quick look around I'd be happy. While reading it I kept reminding myself that "the guy lived, cuz he's writing the story." I'm sure it's here or on TDS.

Was that the guy on the rebreather? That story is HERE

There's also THIS one.

They're very good cautionary tales, that just confirm the OP's good decision to stay outside the wreck.

I posted a link to the rebreather story on facebook. Solo diving! 186' of depth!! Solo wreck penetration!!! Exciting, gripping, nail-biting adventure. But I didn't read that story until this week, after my third dive on the Daryaw.

I recall reading the following story before my first trip to Brockville. I looked it up again, and wouldn't you know it's an incident from the Daryaw itself:

Horror story: One unlucky diver I spoke to (and believe) who did not have wreck penetration training chose to enter the engine room of the Daryaw. Due to its tight confines the room was easily silted out and he could not see anything, including the way out. The situation grew so hopeless he settled to the bottom and, in his own words, "I waited to die." Luckily his buddy had more training, and after noticing he was swimming alone did a search which included running a line into the engine room where he found someone who now has a new appreciation for the concept of adequate training

daryaw.html

That is exactly the reason for the wreck training. Also - was this guy crazy to be diving alone? We did a limited penetration(see through) of the Duane in March and my son had his tank valve get stuck on a rope. I was right behind him to stop him and separate the tank valve and rope. I would never penetrate a wreck alone, without adequate equipment, and training. Thanks for sharing the story.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom