The Best Dive in Florida is...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

big_lou32

New
Reaction score
I recently got certified in the past year out in the Pacific and am down in Florida at least once a year. I don't know anything about diving in Florida, so I was wondering...

What are the best dive spots that no diver in Florida should miss? Why is the dive so special? What do you see? What are conditions like? How do you get there?

In short, what are Florida's great dives?

All the wrecks that SpalshDown goes to. All the wrecks that Parrot Island Goes to. The Reef dives of Jupiter. Every square foot of the Keys and if you get really bored and have dove all of those at least three times.
There are some neat spring dives.... Especially around spring break.

PS Tenneco Towers is suppose to be cool also but I would not know Jenny has not taken me yet...

yeah Big Lou, it would help us if you narrowed it down a little bit; for instance, what part of FL do you normally travel to? do you prefer reefs or wrecks, deep or shallow? boat diving or shore diving? freshwater or saltwater? what time of year do you normally travel? what is your experience level? the options for FL diving are too numerous to list in one post, but if you do a search of this website, you will find loads of information on whatever it is that floats your boat, or sinks your arse for tht matter

Best dive in FL?

Sally Ward? Diepolder? Oriskany? Araby Maid?

You're going to need to be far more specific in what you want.

Big Lou;
If you just got certified in the past year (as have I - February for me) I am gonna assume (yes I know what risk that carries) you haven't had a chance to dive all that much yet (I just got #21 last weekend - yay me!). I will then further assume that you're interested in the same things I am... pretty colors, lots of life, neat stuff to look at...
I would recommend going down to Key Largo and hooking up with Horizon Divers (great operation, and one of the most inexpensive down there) when they do a dive on the City of Washington.
It is a wreck of a wreck really, just some twisted metal and whatnot, but...
A: it is covered with growth and surrounded by coral growth just a short swim off of the wreck, and...
B: some outfit (I don't know the name and wouldn't patronize them if I did) feeds the fishies on the wreck and takes pictures for the tourists.
So there are always lots and lots of nurse sharks swimming around (I think 8 last time I was there), the occasional reef shark (saw 2) and a "resident" jewfish (goliath grouper) who's almost as big as my loveseat.
As I said, I have only had 21 dives so I am definitely not a font of knowledge by any means but this was my fave dive yet. I think it around 30fsw so you get lots of bottom time. I think it's awesome and the nearby reefs don't suck either.

For new divers, French reef off of Largo is nice. Shallow and easy to navigate. Lots of fish and great coral.

I'm waiting for Walter to chime in here, I think he's dove every site in Florida.

Twice. :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom