The Anchorage, Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zephrant

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We just finished a week at The Anchorage, on Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman. We stayed in a ground floor condo, with two bedrooms, two baths, den, kitchen and front room. The screened porch was adjacent (but back a little ways) to the pool, and a very short walk from the beach.

Overall The Anchorage was everything we wanted. One bedroom for my Parents, one for my family, and extra room in the den to lay out gear and all. The screened porch let us enjoy the evenings without fear of bugs biting the little ones, although often we just played in the pool after dark.

The rates were very reasonable- far less than any other place we found on the beach. The location was perfect for us. With our rental car, we were minutes from downtown, and minutes from DiveTech’s new Litehouse point location, among other nice dive entries. The beach was nearly vacant most days- It would be odd to see more than 6-8 people within 100 yards or more. The pool was mostly empty except for us as well. That suited our tastes fine. If you are looking for more people and bars to party at then stumble back to your room, I’d suggest elsewhere though. It was pretty quiet around here.

The beach is great- soft sand, easy slope to the water. The waves were considered “high” when we arrived (I’d estimate less than 2’ swells), and slowly calmed down all week. Not much more than a lake right now- just enough so that you know it’s the ocean. The beach did get rocky 5’ or so in to the water- Lots of bits of old coral on the bottom, rolling around. Beach shoes are needed if you have soft feet and want to wade around much.

The only downside was that the visibility near the beach was nil when we arrived, and slowly got better all week. Shore diving along the beach would have been a pretty good swim at first, but by the end of the week vis. was 15’ or better, enough to get by with. Vis. on the barrier reefs where boats take you was fine, as was the rocky entry points on the NW end of the island. Not sure what vis. is on the East end yet, but the shore entry by Compass Point looked like it had a vis. near nil two days ago.

The staff has been excellent- The daily visits with the housekeepers were very nice, they provided us with valuable local information along with the masses of clean towels. They also dug out some pool toys for our kids to play with. The site manager is excellent as well- She was often here way outside the posted office hours, and was very friendly and helpful as well.

So my highest rating to The Anchorage- When we get a chance to come back, there is no doubt that we will try to stay here again.

I'll post pictures later- Turns out I've not taken any of the units yet, although we check out tomorrow.

Zeph

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom