The "America" St Lawrence, What to Expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sgad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK, I don't know where to start. I'm so excited. I'm going diving in the St Lawrence but I don't know what to expect. Is the America too much of a dive for a newbie? Talk to me; tell me the things I need to know.

confused.gif

There are lots of great wrecks in the islands. The America is not too bad, but you will need to remember a few things.... 1. There are 2 moorings, that attach to a lateral line that take you to the wreck, pay attention to which one you used. 2. The wreck is in the shipping channel, but right on the edge, so watch out for freighters.

The Keystorm is near by the America, and it has a wide something for everyone. The bow is in about 25 feet of water and the stern sits in 117. There is plenty to see if you stay in the 25-60 foot range. , again watch what line you use, and make sure you come up on the one you went down on.

Where in western Ny are you from. I'm in Rochester.

Dan

Well, how much dive experience do you have? Your profile says you're not certified.

Info about the America:

1. the wreck is in the shipping channel, so always follow the line to and from the wreck. Do not surface directly above the wreck or you risk being hit by a boat, be it a small craft or a freighter.

2. the bottom all around the wreck is covered in oil, however it's disguised by a thin layer of silt. Practice good buoyancy control and don't touch the bottom or stir it up with your fin wash.

3. the wreck is upside down with a large space underneath and lots of twisted pipes and debris. Many divers choose not to go underneath the wreck because it is very dark underneath it.

4. You need a good light if you want to see anything beyond the outside of the wreck.

5. a freighter going by will cause the current to shift direction and reduce visibility. It will be very loud, so prepare for that, and you may need to grab onto a piece of wreckage if the freighter comes very close, but remember not to touch the bottom. It can be a fun ride, but be careful.

6. the swim out to the wreck (follow the line that is on your mooring to the wreck) is at around 30 ft for a couple of minutes, then you get to the edge of a wall (lots of bass on top of the wall); keep following the line to the wreck. You'll find yourself on the starboard side of the bow. The wreck lies parallel to the wall. There is usually a very mild current from bow to stern.

7. There are many fish on top of the stern near the propeller, mostly large pickerel/walleye.

8. at the stern there are many things to look at including a small wooden barge.

9. Depth of the wreck is between 60 and 74 feet. Deepest part is at the bottom of the stern.

10. make sure you base your turn pressure on enough gas to get you back to the mooring line (remember the swim back at 30ft) and to do a safety stop.

If you're on a charter, the staff will usually brief you on all these points anyway.

Thanks for the replies. Oh, my profile is updated again. I think my updates got lost when the system went down.
Well, since I posted, I've decided not to dive the America. I think i'll be too much dive for me this year. I planned on getting my AOW next year, so I think I'll wait till I've accomplished that. Plus, I know I'll end up pushing the envelope, and I don't want to have a bad experience just because I wasn't prepared or qualified for the dive.
I have a place to stay at ABay anytime, so my intent when I started diving was to dive up there. I'll get there when the time is right.
tx

you may want to to dive the islander then . very easy dive

40' dive good for beginners. nice relaxing dive

be safe

sonnyt

Another couple of good shore dives, suitable for beginners, are just over the Ogdensburg bridge in Canada. The Connie and the Rothsey are both nice, and there's also a scuba park there, a reasonably short circuit with things to check out.

The 18th I expect to go on the Cape Vincent ferry to Kingston, a couple of decent shore dives there, again suitable for beginners.

I do A Bay many weekends, probably be there this Sat or Sun afternoon. Watch out for Aug 10 - 19 -- that's Pirate's Days, a lot of boaters, not so good for diving.

America's a great dive but for beginners can be just an ok dive since it's upside down and you don't see a whole lot unless you get underneath...

The Keystorm is a better dive I think with lots to see above 60 ft., the America makes a better 2nd dive after the Keystorm to do something shallower. I like the Rothesay and a couple of the shore dives for new divers.

Dave

sgad:
OK, I don't know where to start. I'm so excited. I'm going diving in the St Lawrence but I don't know what to expect. Is the America too much of a dive for a newbie? Talk to me; tell me the things I need to know.

confused.gif
This is a really important point from CUnderH20:

"2. the bottom all around the wreck is covered in oil, however it's disguised by a thin layer of silt. Practice good buoyancy control and don't touch the bottom or stir it up with your fin wash."

My buddy has permanent "I got sloppy on the America" markings on his drysuit. Anything that touches the wreck or anything near the wreck will get a permanent greasy black stain.

The Keystorm is also nearby and is alo a really nice dive. Just don't go any deeper than you're trained and equipped for (the bottom is around 100' near the prop), and stay out of the engine room.

The Islander is a really easy, really fun shore dive that you can get to from right behind the hospital in Alexandria Bay. If you turn right, after entering the water, you can swim up under the floating restaurant, and also sit in the lawn chairs on the bottom of the river. :D

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom