The all-inclusive tipping note -- Boats, DMs & Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DEEPLOU:
Usually "here in the NE" the crews are just that crews, not divemasters. Here on LI, we usually give it to one of the crew (if more than one).

However, this came up on a trip to FL. The dive operator was a husband and wife team. It was their operation and they ran it. He at the helm and she at the ropes.
Do you tip them? Her ? ? or what?
So would that differentiate the tipping? Regarding a husband wife team if the service was good why not do the right thing?

I've never liked the tip system on dive boats. The divemaster isn't handling my lines, washing down my boat or there for my insurance. Let the dive operator pay their employees what they're worth and include it in the cost of doing business. Pass it on to the customer as the true cost of doing the dive.

DennisS:
I've never liked the tip system on dive boats. The divemaster isn't handling my lines, washing down my boat or there for my insurance. Let the dive operator pay their employees what they're worth and include it in the cost of doing business. Pass it on to the customer as the true cost of doing the dive.
I see your point, but I'll bet a lot of people disagree, I'll mention it to our skipper<g>

TechBlue:
Yeah baby! Tipping is certainly misunderstood by a lot of people (some are just cheap) here in the NE all the crews actually work for free and the chance to dive, so tipping is a big part of compensation, most of our dives are deco dives and invlove a lot of gearing up and maintenance. Be generous take care of your boat crew, most people give the tip to the skipper who hands it to the crew to divvy up or when it's given to various crew members they do the same thing it gets thrown in the kitty and divvied up. btw Roturer you're welcome any time:D

LOL Your DM's on liveaboards work for nothing? Three days of grueling torture?

C'mon, you're pullin' my leg here...

Hey if your skipper can get free labor, more power to him. Everybody likes free volunteers.

Aggressors suggest %10 of booked price. Isn't $180 - $220 rather steep tipping? For some maybe not, but for me it's a chunk on top of airfare, and the $1800 to $2200 for the trip. I give $50 - $75 in the pot when I go, and then I feel guilty.

Barracuda2

DennisS:
Hey if your skipper can get free labor, more power to him. Everybody likes free volunteers.
Dennis,

Give us a heads up if you sign up for one of our charters, we'll take extra specila care of you:D Sean, we're talking about NE diving and we do overnighters and 3 day trips to the Doria and such, and trust me we work our *** of! At night there is always a warm body at the helm watching out to make sure our customers don't get run over by some errant freighter.

I agree with him though, I'd rather know what the price was up front, then find out there are extra fees, I might not have the extra money, I don't know how much to tip always and frankly I just don't want to deal with it.

One thing I do enjoy is NOT tipping after a particularly sh*tty DM.

Ben

has been $10 per diver per 2 tank day in NC (they tend to be longer days). This used to be about 15% of the cost of the trip, the same level suggested for tipping your barmaid or waitress. For most trips now, the tip should probably increase to about $15 per day. If a mate has been particularly helpful (like pulling your chestnuts out of a fire), I suggest the diver give a little extra.

I know the mates for most of the trips I go on usually work for tips.

Barracuda2:
Aggressors suggest %10 of booked price. Isn't $180 - $220 rather steep tipping? For some maybe not, but for me it's a chunk on top of airfare, and the $1800 to $2200 for the trip. I give $50 - $75 in the pot when I go, and then I feel guilty.

Barracuda2

Aggressors are a luxury boat for those with luxury tastes and pocketbooks. In their case you must also consider that you are tipping for (typically) outstanding service on a total of 15-20 dives PLUS preparing and serving deluxe meals and snacks. The crew on the trip I took also was entertaining, hung out with us, took photos and provided them on disk at week's end, and were excellent dive guides on the occasions when a guide was desired. 10% seems right in this case.

theskull

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom