The 6 Best Similan Island Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TimA

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I know the dive sites very well at Richelieu, Surin, and Tachai but have never dived the Similan Islands. Taking our boat south from Kuraburi to Phuket we want to stop there and dive the 6 best dive sites at the Similans not including Koh Bon. What are the 6 best dive sites at the Similan Islands and what would be a good order to dive them. 2 of the dives will be a part of a 4 dive day with the 1st 2 dives at Koh Bon. Also including 1 site for a night dive.
Much thanks in advance.

I know the dive sites very well at Richelieu, Surin, and Tachai but have never dived the Similan Islands. Taking our boat south from Kuraburi to Phuket we want to stop there and dive the 6 best dive sites at the Similans not including Koh Bon. What are the 6 best dive sites at the Similan Islands and what would be a good order to dive them. 2 of the dives will be a part of a 4 dive day with the 1st 2 dives at Koh Bon. Also including 1 site for a night dive.
Much thanks in advance.

In order starting from the North and going South:

1: "Christmas Point" (Boulder breaking the surface off the North West Point of Similan #9)
2: "Elephant Head Rock" (Boulders breaking the surface away from the South West Point of Similan #8)
3: "East Of Eden" (East and South East of Similan #7)
4: "Morning Glory" (East and South East Point of Similan #5)
5: "Sharkfin Reef" (Boulders breaking the surface East from Similan #2 and South from Similan #3)
6: "Boulder City" (Completely submerged just South from Sharkfin Reef but marked by buoys)

Number 1,2,5 and 6 are what I call "Boulder Sites" with jumbles of granite boulders either stacked up on one another or spread out on the seabed often exposed to current. Number 3 and 4 are mainly gently sloping reefs attached to the islands and excellent sites for (gentle) drift diving.

Last edited:
Bowmouth's number 6 should read: just south of Shark Fin Reef.

I am not giving my opinion here, I think an answer to this question is just as valid as an answer to the question: what are the best 10 divesites in the world'.

I am not giving my opinion here, I think an answer to this question is just as valid as an answer to the question: what are the best 10 divesites in the world'.

StevenL is right (Thanks Steven!), Boulder City is just South of Shark Fin Reef.

The 6 sites I mentioned are some of the more popular sites in the Similan Islands and are nicely spread out from North to South.

There are many more great dive sites in the Similan Islands and there's good diving at all the islands from #1 to #9.
Unfortunately quite a few islands and dive sites are still off-limit for scuba divers. ("Fantasea Reef" at the Westside of Similan #8 is actually one of my most favorite dive sites in the Similans but has been closed for divers for (way too) many years now).

Re-phrase: If you could only dive 6 spots, what would those 6 spots be:
I want to have the best that the Thai Andaman Sea has to offer.
Unfortunately I am not familiar with these (Similan) dive sites,
but need an itinerary to give the Captain, dive guide, and the guest.
There just opinions that I will cross reference with other sources.
Steven, Batfish, Bowmouth, and that guy from "Dive the World" (the one who taught my 17 year old son to dive 7 years ago),
are the opinions I seek the most, (lots of experience here) although I value everyones opinion.

Unfortunately quite a few islands and dive sites are still off-limit for scuba divers. ("Fantasea Reef" at the Westside of Similan #8 is actually one of my most favorite dive sites in the Similans but has been closed for divers for (way too) many years now).

Why are they closed?

Why are they closed?

The Marine National Park wanted to create areas within the Similan National Park where the marine life could re-generate and/or find a safe haven.
For example: Similan # 1 has been completely closed for diving because it's beach is a main nesting area for sea turtles. "Fantasea Reef" has been closed for diving to give the reef a chance to re-generate (in the past it got quite a bit of damage to sea fans and other corals from commercial fishing and (some say) scuba activities).

Similan #2 and #3 have been completely closed for years now.

Although I do admit that closing dive sites may have it's benefits to the marine life I personally do not believe that scuba divers are the biggest threath to the reefs and its creatures (even when they do sometimes break some coral or disturb creatures). In fact, where scuba divers are frequently diving the marine life seems to thrive and the fishing boats stay away! (Example: Richelieu Rock, Hin Musang (Shark Point), Hin Daeng and Hin Muang, etc.

With less places to dive, dive operators are forced to take their divers to the still open sites and overcrowding occurs. Also, with scuba divers unable to monitor the closed dive sites the likely hood of illegal fishing and damage to the reef by nets and lines may go unnoticed.

Bowmouth's list is good, and is even in dive order.

But if you demand 6 of the "ultimate sites" why limit yourself to Similans?

My list:

1: Richelieu
2: Richelieu
3: Richelieu
4: Richelieu
5: East of Eden (North)
6: East of Eden (South)

Bowmouth's list is good, and is even in dive order.

But if you demand 6 of the "ultimate sites" why limit yourself to Similans?

My list:

1: Richelieu
2: Richelieu
3: Richelieu
4: Richelieu
5: East of Eden (North)
6: East of Eden (South)

It will be 4 Full days of diving:
Departing Kuraburi
Richelieu (for sure 2x maybe 3x)
Surin ( I know couple of spots there good)
Tachai (1 very good dive site maybe 2x)
Bon (Hope to see Mantas)
& the Similans ( I know nothing).

But East of Edens been mentioned twice now and Ive heard before so thats a go.
But your right.. we could expand on this...4 full days starting with Richelieu going south to Phuket...whats the ultimate itinerary!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom