That's it for me and ScubaToys! The real truth about ScubaToys.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Sorry, but I simply can not believe the way I was just treated by Joe and those ScubaToys guys.

I started a thread about a problem I was having with a regulator I bought from those guys a couple of years ago, that they just serviced. Here is part of the OP:
Rick Inman:
Last night I deployed it at 100', and it immediately began to spit and sputter as I inhaled, and the reg made clicking and clacking noises. At the end of the inhale, it free-flowed. During the inhale, the reg would fail closed, giving nothing. If I sucked hard enough, there would be a loud "clack" and then it would open and deliver too much air and free flow. Then it would spit and sputter again, forcing very hard pulls on it to get enough air, then fail closed again, then "break" back open, and then free-flow.

What a noisy mess.

At 30' feet the symptoms lessen to the point that it is breathable. At 20' it seems just fine, maybe a little hard breathing, and the clicking noises are very quiet.

I know the problem is with the first stage, because I changed the second stage as a test and it does the same thing.
Here is Joe's post in that thread:

scubatoys:
The best way would be send it back and I will take a look at it and get it back to you in just a couple days! But if you have time constraints and need to have it looked at there just send me the invoice and I will refund the cost of the repair!
Sorry!
Thanks
Joe
So I sent it to him. And do you think he did what he said??

NO! They did not get my reg back to me fixed, like he said he would.

He sent me a BRAND NEW reg! :D

Yup. He called me the other day and said that they could not duplicate the problem in their pool (it needs to be dived deeper to fail). They took it apart and could not find a problem, then reassembled it and dived it in their pool, but it didn't fail. Joe said he realized that it needed to be dived deeper, and, although the reassembly might have fixed it, he couldn't verify it until this weekend. He said he didn't want to send it back un-proved, and have the possibility of it failing on me again, and he didn't want to inconvenience me by keeping it through the weekend (I need it for the dive Saturday). So he is just sending me a brand new one.

Incredible!

So, is it enough to just replace the thing. No, Joe asked me to send him the old second stage. He still intends on figuring out what is causing the reg to fail.

Wow.

How can you not want to spend all your scuba money with these guys??

I do.

Thank you, Joe, and ScubaToys for setting the high bar in the scuba industry.

Rick

have you tried it out at 100' yet? :D

dlndavid:
have you tried it out at 100' yet? :D
Suggesting that lightning can strike twice in the same spot... I don't think so.:wink:

However, I'll have it on a 40% stage Saturday and switch to it at 100', so, I'll let you know.

Rick Inman:
............NO! They did not get my reg back to me fixed, like he said he would.

He sent me a BRAND NEW reg! :D

Thank you, Joe, and ScubaToys for setting the high bar in the scuba industry.

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttttt

see what karma can do for ya!

The crew @ www.scubatoys.com do indeed set a very high bar for customer service, full inventory, and warranty support. Nice to see a good post for a very good pro store.

I am constantly amazed by thier customer service...I also had an issue with the Atmos2 'puters while on vacation. So I sent them to Joe for testing...Now I bought them knowing they where last years model. But they were such a great price I couldn't stand not having them. After having them a day, they decided they needed to send them back to Aeris. So he sent me 2 brand new XR2 'puters...I wish I needed more gear, I love those guys....

And to think....I live about 30 miles from ScubaToys! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom