That was fun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear

NOK
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Training for the local volunteer team today was a search for a couple of murder weapons - a revolver and a .40cal semi-automatic and a clip.

We had an UW metal detector the Troopers loaned us. The lake is 6-12' deep in the search area. So 2 guys in the boat and me in the water. They would get a "hit" on the detector and I would drop down to check. usually it was just a beer can or a lead fishing weight. One was a partial aluminum baseball bat that appeared to have encountered lead poisoning.

There's still ice on the lake, but it's pretty rotten and was easily broken. About the time I've spent close to an hour on and under the water, a hit produced the .40cal. We preserved it as instructed by the Troopers and continued. After 2 more drops, I told them I had maybe one more dive in me (though I had only used 500psi). The chief decided he was tired of seeing the ripples in the water from me shivering, so we called it a day. The Trooper who came out was ecstatic and asked when we were going to get the other one :rolleyes:

Plan is for those of us that can to go back out on Monday.

It has to make you feel good, to put your skills to use in such a constructive way. Some clever SOB just had his good plan for getting away with it thwarted!

Snow, just curious...what search pattern does your team use for searching for small items like weapons? The one we're doing the most in training exercises is the sawtooth or I think some call it the jackstay(?).

suthnbelle:
Snow, just curious...what search pattern does your team use for searching for small items like weapons? The one we're doing the most in training exercises is the sawtooth or I think some call it the jackstay(?).
Well, I'm on 2 teams now. The Anchorage team uses line searches. We'll swim out on the surface to a given distance past where we think the item is, then drop down. The search will then start in an arc, keeping the line taut. At the end of each sweep, the line will be shortened 2.5 or 5', depending on the size of the item (the line is marked every 5'). The diver then searches the other item. We usually practice by looking for thinks like a caribiner or a small bolt snap.

The volunteer team is working toward this type of search. Looking for the guns, we put the boat on a line and did a similar arc type pattern with the metal detector. I think we would have been more effective and found both weapons and the clip in a few hours if we had done it like Anchorage does, but hey - at least they're trying :wink:

Snowbear:
Well, I'm on 2 teams now. The Anchorage team uses line searches. We'll swim out on the surface to a given distance past where we think the item is, then drop down. The search will then start in an arc, keeping the line taut. At the end of each sweep, the line will be shortened 2.5 or 5', depending on the size of the item (the line is marked every 5'). The diver then searches the other item. We usually practice by looking for thinks like a caribiner or a small bolt snap.

Is this one the "pendulum" where you have an anchor on the bottom with the search line threaded thru and then you have your tender in the boat letting out slack when needed? We do that one too but they like to use the other pattern more so that is the one we dive and set the most. I was just curious what patterns other teams use the most and for what conditions.

Another question for you...what kind of lights do you carry? We have to carry two but when you use them in the low to 0' vis it is useless. I'm just wondering if I should keep carrying the cheapo dive lights so in case you drop it it is no big deal or get a small light with a bit more power.

Thanks Snow.

suthnbelle:
Is this one the "pendulum" where you have an anchor on the bottom with the search line threaded thru and then you have your tender in the boat letting out slack when needed? We do that one too but they like to use the other pattern more so that is the one we dive and set the most. I was just curious what patterns other teams use the most and for what conditions.

Another question for you...what kind of lights do you carry? We have to carry two but when you use them in the low to 0' vis it is useless. I'm just wondering if I should keep carrying the cheapo dive lights so in case you drop it it is no big deal or get a small light with a bit more power.

Thanks Snow.
No, we never thread a line through the anchor. We always have the tether directly to the tender whether doing the search from boat or shore. We use a 3-way anchor system to secure the boat to keep the diver from moving it.

The reason for the direct line to the tender is for contingencies. A large percentage of our searches are zero viz. once the backup dive clips onto the line, it's best s/he never has to unclip until s/he contacts the distressed diver. If the tether was threaded through something, the b/u would have to unclip and reclip in zero viz.

As for lights - we have some hand-held lights, but almost never use them. If it's zero viz, they just get in the way of a tactile search. If it's not, we almost never dive at night anyway.... since during the main season we dive, it doesn't really get dark :wink:

Again, I'm talking about the Anchorage team :wink:

man you still have ice? wish I could come make a few ice dives :D Good job on the find! and good luck on the other, stay warm :wink:

suthnbelle:

I think jack stays are the most effective search pattern. I don't think the fan search cuts it very well. Although it's all in your tender I guess.

Just my .05 (Inflation)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom