Thar' be whales!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spt29970

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Not underwater, but close enough that perhaps you will forgive me. I got some amazing humpback whale photos on my recent dive trip in Alaska. Here is a beautiful breach. (Click on images for more details)

Even more exciting is that we saw bubble-net feeding. Absolutely amazing!

Here is a closeup

Bubble net feeding:

A pod of Humpback whales will swim in a circle underwater while exhaling. The rising bubbles serve to corral the krill in a compact group and the whales then come up through the krill ball with their mouths open, scooping in vast quantities of the "tasty morsels".

It was first observed only a few years ago as far as I know, it is amazing that the OP was lucky enough to see it. Color me green with jealousy.

I probably should have added a little more explanation. We were excited and thrilled to witness humpbacks performing bubble net feeding. If there was ever any doubt of the intelligence of these magnificent animals, witnessing this cooperative feeding behavior will convince you. A group of 5-20 animals simultaneously dive near a school of bait fish. Then they blow a ring a bubbles around the school that coral the fish into the center. Then simultaneously the whales blast through the school and leap out of the water with their mouths open. It was an awesome sight, and yes, I feel amazingly privileged to have experienced it.

Absolutely amazing! How do you come back from a trip like you've had???

Now that had to be an amazing experience. Thanks so much for sharing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom