Thanksgiving Cruise - Cozumel, Belize, Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay_SMART_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got back from a week at Sea on the NCL Norwegian Sun. Had a great time weather was nice and got to make all three ports of call without any problems. The ship was very nice and had a great staff, this was my first cruise and I was definitely impressed. We sailed out of Houston on November 20th.

Cozumel: Arrived Tuesday morning and had some choppy seas. Due to the Cruise Ship docks being torn up we had to tender in to shore. We were having 3-5' seas and the cruise ship cancelled all its water-based shore excursions. I however booked diving with Scuba with Alison. Got off the ship and made our way to the marina via a cab. Driving through San Miguel was quite a sight, most of the hotels are in some state of repair, and everything on the waterfront looks like a bomb hit it. There was rubble everywhere and the trees (that were still standing) were stripped of vegetation and everything was brown. Just about every place was being rebuilt, there were people out and the shops were open and running in high gear. We arrived at Caleta marina, met up with Alison and boarded the Enigma II for some diving. The ride out was a little rough but the further south we went the smoother it got. Our first dive was at Palancar caves, the visibility was about 60-80 with a little murk in the water at distance. Profile was 70’ for 35 minutes water temperature was 75. The swim through caves were nice but you could see a lot of broken coral littering the sandy bottom, there also didn’t seem to be an abundance of marine life.
After a break on Palancar beach we dove Delilah. Profile was 64’ for 40 minutes. There were more fish here and not much current so we were finning a lot. We did get to see a couple of Hawks Bill turtles here. The ride back to the marina was rough because we were heading back into the wind. Most of the signs for the Hotels ere stating a summer of ’06 opening and it look's like they’re going to need the time to get things back in working order.

Belize: Arrived Wednesday morning and tendered to shore. We made our way to Sea Sports Belize to hook up with our charter. The weather in Belize was fabulous the water was flat and the sun was shining. Got to meet Linda from SSB, she was so nice and helpful. I had 7 family members on the cruise so we chartered a snorkel trip and it was just the 8 of us on the boat. We had a great guide and Captain, Nazza and Junior; the made the trip even more special. We snorkeled two spots and had a break for lunch. At the first site the water was a little murky but the reef was very healthy and teeming with life. We got to see a Spotted Eagle Ray in about 6-10’ of water. The second site the water clarity was just amazing and so was the marine life. We definitely had a great time on the private charter and I can’t say enough about Linda and her crew from Sea Sports Belize. When we were done they took us directly back to the Cruise Ship and were able to tender back in to Belize City for some shopping.

Roatan: Thursday we docked in Roatan (thankfully no more tenders). Met Patrick from Subway Water sports and he had transportation waiting for us. We arrived in Brick Bay and loaded equipment. Patrick had several interns from the States there as well as from all over. Everyone was very nice and the boat was quite spacious, they said this was the nicest weather they have had in three weeks so we licked out. We headed out from the marina and were at the dive site in about 5 minutes if that. The DM Mark called the place Connie’s Dream. After gearing up and a, “Get off my boat!” we hit the water. Dive 1 was 88’ for 45 minutes water was 78 degrees. The reef was beautiful, extremely healthy with tons of fish. I am more of a fan of the soft corals and Roatan definitely has its share. The barrel sponges were HUGE (see pictures) we probably had about 80’ visibility but it was just gorgeous down there. I’m definitely anxious to go back in the summer/fall where the say they have 150’+. Second dive was just out from Coco View resort. Mark called the place Missing Link and said we were going to drift to Fish Soup. Second dive 102’ max 54 minutes bottom time. Got to see a couple nice eels and a big grouper that followed us for almost the whole dive. Overall it was a great trip, cruise ship diving sucks for the fact that you have to lug your gear on and off the ship but you do get to see a lot more places. I think I am definitely going to book a week in Roatan.

Jay_SMART_Diver:
....cruise ship diving sucks for the fact that you have to lug your gear on and off the ship but you do get to see a lot more places..
Looks like fun. We just finished a thanksgiving crusie last week and dove Grand Cayman and Cozumel. But lugging the gear around is a ******.

Thanks for the report, Jay, and the pictures. Sure makes me anxious to get back into those clear waters. Almost everyday I find myself thinking, 'what could I sell to get enough for a weekend dive trip?' or something similar.

Willie

Connie's Dream is one of my favorite sites! Missing link is a great spot for macro stuff, always fins something new there. Glad you had a great time.

We just had a cancellation on our May CCV trip....wanna come with us?!?! :D

Thanks for the nice trip report, Jay! Sunday we're headed for a week of Cozumel diving to do fish surveys with REEF (www.reef.org) to dive with AquaSafari. Your assessment of the island and dive sites tracks with what I'm hearing from others.

Two years ago we also dove off a cruise ship at Roatan with Subway. Nice to know Patrick is still running the show. They are a super outfit and I would definately dive with them again.

Back
Top Bottom