Thanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob Evans

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Dear Scuba Board member's we will be pulling this site and appreciate all your support over the years. Production has stopped 1971-2012. Look across America and you will see, but not if your watching T.V. Love, Bob Evans

Dear Scuba Board member's we will be pulling this site and appreciate all your support over the years. Production has stopped 1971-2012. Look across America and you will see, but not if your watching T.V. Love, Bob Evans
Bob, what does this mean ?

If you are watching Jonathan Bird's Blue World on TV, you most certainly will see! (Force Fins, that is)

Bob, please tell me this isn't true!!!

What I would suggest is narrowing the lines down to one or two fin models, say the Force Fin Pro, bringing the price down to compete with other high end fins, and again distributing to dive shops. I think this would be a viable business and there is a loyal large niche following. The costs of keeping such an operation going should not be high.

Adam

What I would suggest is narrowing the lines down to one or two fin models, say the Force Fin Pro, bringing the price down to compete with other high end fins, and again distributing to dive shops. I think this would be a viable business and there is a loyal large niche following. The costs of keeping such an operation going should not be high.

Adam
My suggestion would be online sales, with an aggressive DEMO schedule at high concentration Dive resort destinations....Bob could be helped by some of his longtime fans.....I would help with demos at the BHB Marine Park...infant I have already done this for a few people, but the Hockey fin is more aimed at an Extreme type like me, so it is not good for me to demo this for the masses of divers looking for less pain and cramping, better performance in currents, etc.

Bob, say the word and we will make a demo day at The BHB Park!!

My suggestion would be online sales, with an aggressive DEMO schedule at high concentration Dive resort destinations....Bob could be helped by some of his longtime fans.....I would help with demos at the BHB Marine Park...infant I have already done this for a few people, but the Hockey fin is more aimed at an Extreme type like me, so it is not good for me to demo this for the masses of divers looking for less pain and cramping, better performance in currents, etc.

Bob, say the word and we will make a demo day at The BHB Park!!

The demos are fine but not enough to sustain a business. I think with something that must fit right like fins, online only is not good enough, you must have presence in dive stores. I also think the price point is set too high-- there are just not many who want to spend $400+ on a pair of fins when you can buy say the high end Atomic split fin for half that price. Just my 2 cents worth.

I don't think Bob's problems have to do with lacking sales. The problem he is having is with production. Several month's ago he had to switch production to a new location and they have been unable to produce a consistent, quality product thus resulting in a considerable loss of both production volume and diminishing margins. Add to that the increased cost of raw materials (they are petroleum based) and you have a non-sustainable business. Anyone who has worked in a manufacturing environment understands how this can happen.

Add to that, Bob's new business interests are taking a lot of his time, so something has to give. I guess if he had some quality help, this could be overcome - but if he had that, the problem would not have occurred. He has been making fins since 1971 and I can understand how you can lose some of that "fire in the belly" when this happens.

I can only wish Bob the best, whatever he decides to do. I wish I lived out there and could offer my assistance - but not much I can do from TN.

No mater what happens - Bob - thanks for what you have done for the Scuba industry. Some of us really appreciate it.

TN, Thanks for your kind words. Production is the main reason..can't keep up with our needs. We only sell Fin's, so if the supply lags behind we suffer. Thinking about setting up our own Plant. This way I could develop other products for the wave energy business.. and keep our customers happier. Best, Bob

coralcruiser, We have not had time to pull down the online sales, I will stated once more, we have ton's of sales and have lost production. My type of production is different from the other's. I must go now, I thank you for your support. Best, Bob

Back
Top Bottom