Thanks!!!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwashbur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Many thanks to all who came out for this morning's impromptu Meet & Greet dive. We got to meet Michelle (second time :wink: , Brandon, Peter, Matt, Devin, Katherine - did I miss anybody? I hope not. We gathered at Monastery North, realized we could hear the waves from the road, and basically said "uh-uh." My daughter lost her breakfast while we were there, so it was clear she wouldn't be diving anywhere. We discussed and debated and decided to go to the Metridium Field instead. It was a good choice.

We've never tried to use lineups before, we've always followed the pipe, so this was a new experience for us. Peter and Brandon led us out to their approximate spots, while a pair of dolphins cavorted near us. My daughter was intensely jealous of that, because she loves dolphins. But she had to stay at the car because she still wasn't feeling well. We dropped in about 50 fsw, right on some of the rocks, and started exploring. Kathy and I never actually got to the main rock piles of the Field, but that's okay, we had a blast. She was a little short on air because her reg did a free-flow as we entered the water, that cost her about 200 psi. But we've been working hard on her air consumption and she did great. We found lots of nudibranchs, some cool rockfish, and crabs of every shape and size you can imagine. Here's one picture, taken right after we dropped. It's a three-fer: the copper rockfish, probably about 8-10" long, sitting on top of a really big Sea Lemon (Peltodoris nobilis, for those of us keeping score), with a tiny sharpnose crab looking like he's about to grab the fish's nose.

copper1.jpg

When we hit turnaround we started back and found the pipe to guide us in. Peter and Michelle went zooming past us at one point, probably because we define the word "slow." We found lots more critters coming in, including a nice white-lined dirona. Back in the parking lot, it was a lot of fun comparing notes with the rest of the group. That's something we don't often get to do, because we tend to split our time evenly between being underwater and being back at the apartment in Salinas. Everyone was really nice to us and made us feel like part of the gang. We had to leave fairly quickly, because we had a sick kid to tend to, but we did so with regret.

It was a great way to meet some fellow divers, try a new way of navigating, and celebrate a new friend's birthday. To Katherine, I offer the standard Pooh greeting:

HIPY PAPY BTHUTHDA THUTHDA BTHUTHDY

Which of course is how Owl writes "A Happy Birthday"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One more picture, this one of a clown nudibranch (Triopha catalinae, sorry, I can't help myself!). How tiny was he? That's Kathy's fingertip on the left edge of the picture.

clown2.jpg

The rest of our pictures are at dwashbur/Metridium Field 8-17-08 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Those that say they were taken with a Casio are by Kathy, the ones taken by a Pentax are by me. Again, thanks to all our new friends for making us feel welcome!

Great photos! Sounds like a good day. Wish I was there. I'll look forward to seeing all of you at the meetup in a few weeks.

If you look just under the rockfish there is also a purple urchin :wink:.

We were a little short of the fields where we dropped but 30 degrees of so should have worked. I just wasnt sure if everyone wanted to keep doing the surface swim since the dolphins werent responding to Peter's calls :D.

Hey, thanks for coming ,everyone. We had a great couple of dives, AND those of you who didn't stick around for the second dive missed a very special encounter with a massive swarm of huge moon jellies. It was truly surreal. Link to pics below.

Well, we didn't stay for the second dive, but as we mentioned, we took a nap and then went back tonight for a night dive at the breakwater, where we found our very first shark. Around 35 feet, Kathy found a 3-4 foot swell shark just sitting there. We took several pictures, which I'll share as soon as I get them edited. We also found a catalina conger, the ones that bury themselves tail first when they get scared, two giant kelpfish, what appears to be an albino chiton, and about 300 rockfish. We encountered several of those moon jellies mentioned, as well. It was an amazing dive.

It was great meeting Kathy, Matt, Katherine and Devin today and seeing everyone else again. What a great day of diving! Brandon, Dave and Kathy...you missed a nice 2nd dive. Here’s a video I took of the swarm of jellies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnhauxgCnvQ I'll post my pics as soon as I get them sorted.

Dave, your night dive sounds amazing. I can't wait to see the pics. :D

Thanks everyone for a great day and I'm looking forward to the next one!!

Hey, thanks for coming ,everyone. We had a great couple of dives, AND those of you who didn't stick around for the second dive missed a very special encounter with a massive swarm of huge moon jellies. It was truly surreal. Link to pics below.

Great shots Devin!

It was definitely great meeting all of you. Thanks for being patient with me Devin & Peter. I'm still learning the ropes as I go. I'll try to post my pictures as soon as I can, if I got any good ones.

matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom