Thank you!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just completed (and passed) my DIR-F in Pulau Aur, Malaysia. Just wanted to say thank you to all the SB members who gave me helpful hints/advice and patiently answered my stupid posted questions and PMs. Thank you, guys - you know who you are.

Hey Vie,

you're not getting away that easy. Tell us more... :D

Laurens

Yeah, Vie,

Tell us the tale of DIR-F in Malaysia! :crafty:

Who was your instructor? How many passed, how many provisionals? What was the hardest part? What was the most fun?

Christian

Vie,

Congrats on passing your class!

headhunter:
Yeah, Vie,

Tell us the tale of DIR-F in Malaysia! :crafty:

Who was your instructor? How many passed, how many provisionals? What was the hardest part? What was the most fun?

Christian

Alright, I will try and give you guys a full write up soon. Here's a brief description of the class:

I took the "OW" part of DIR-F in Pulau Aur, Malaysia, but most of the classroom portions and pool session/swim test were done in Singapore. The class was organized by Living Seas, Singapore. Gideon Liew (GUE #50039) was the (excellent) instructor - Gideon was assisted by Raymond Oh (and another Tech 1 student). Six students in the class (including two SB members, nagonoj and Vie); three women, three men - divided into two teams. My team achieved one pass and two provisionals - I was not told the other team's result but from what I could see, they did very well.

The hardest part for me was situational awareness and working and using the skills as a team (my backward kicks were not pretty, but that's another story...). OTOH, the funnest part was diving as a team and seeing the overall improvement from the first to last day (and riding the X-scooter that Gideon kindly brought along).

Vie

Vie:
Alright, I will try and give you guys a full write up soon. Here's a brief description of the class:

I took the "OW" part of DIR-F in Pulau Aur, Malaysia, but most of the classroom portions and pool session/swim test were done in Singapore. The class was organized by Living Seas, Singapore. Gideon Liew (GUE #50039) was the (excellent) instructor - Gideon was assisted by Raymond Oh (and another Tech 1 student). Six students in the class (including two SB members, nagonoj and Vie); three women, three men - divided into two teams. My team achieved one pass and two provisionals - I was not told the other team's result but from what I could see, they did very well.

The hardest part for me was situational awareness and working and using the skills as a team (my backward kicks were not pretty, but that's another story...). OTOH, the funnest part was diving as a team and seeing the overall improvement from the first to last day (and riding the X-scooter that Gideon kindly brought along).

Vie

congrats bro! i myself passed just last week you are a born again diver. things seem pretty clear now huh? dir-f one darn good course. and you are right, the backward kick was so hard to do at first:)

way to go, vie

you rock

(and you do too, spoon, mr. first time passer)

Vie:
Just completed (and passed) my DIR-F in Pulau Aur, Malaysia. Just wanted to say thank you to all the SB members who gave me helpful hints/advice and patiently answered my stupid posted questions and PMs. Thank you, guys - you know who you are.
Congrats dude. :wink:

Here’s a picture of the class (taken by Gareth Ingham). It was after the last dive on 31 July 2005, on the platform above “Housereef West,” between Pulau Aur and Pulau Dayang, Malaysia.

Gideon Liew is in the centre with the orange long hose. Raymond Oh (Gideon’s assistant, video guy and X-Scooter operator) is on the far right. Dive Xtras X-Scooter in foreground.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom