Thailand visa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dtcooney:
I'm planning a long trip to Thailand next month and am looking for some advice. I got a one way ticket as I'm not sure when I'll be coming back and I'd also like to travel on from Thailand maybe to Borneo, Australia or New Zealand. I was hoping to get a work permit and work as a Dive Master whilst in Thailand. A friend of mine then informed me that I would probably need to have a return flight before I'd be allowed into the country. Has anyone any thoughts on this or had any expierence with working in Thailand as a non-national. Any and all words of wisdom would be welcome.

without a return ticket, you will be asked to provide evidence that you can support yourself without working.

without having a return or onward ticket immigration will get funny.

most places will not employ a farrang DM, and you will not get a work visa for one as this is deemed well within the reach of a local.

if you get caught working you will be fined and deported, once you have been deported that effectively bars you from entering again.

its not worth the risk, you may be able to volunteer to be a DM, i.e. you get your dives for free but you get no pay, but then if you have an accident your insurance could be void as you could be classed as a member of staff.

PS be very careful if you rent a bike, you are responsible for any damage and it is normally at cost, plus some and then some more and then you have to pay the police plus any compensation for injuries you have caused to others, as a side not your travel insurance does NOT cover you for motorised vehicles as my brother found out to his expense.

a swedish lady looked the wrong way and stepped out in front of him, he fractured her skull, jaw and cheeck bones, 5 ribs, pelvis, wrist and punctured her lung.

the police took almost 20,000 BHT he had to pay 50,000 BHT for the repair of the bike, 10,000 BHT for another bike, pay for hospital treatment for himself 10,000 BHT, pay for the hire of a car for 3 weeks because we had to visit the woman everyday or the police would put him in prison, pay for the woman's family food while they came out to see her and then they charged him with speeding and fined him for that as well.

at the time it was 50 BHT to the pound so it cost him a couplke of grand for doing nothing wrong!

Vie:
I would check with the Thai embassy too—I don’t know what the situation is now but during the beginning of 1995 (when I was studying in Ballyvaughn, County Clare) the nearest Thai embassy was in London, England! Back then the nearest Irish embassy to Bangkok was in Malaysia—there is an Irish Consulate in Bangkok now, I think.
This page (Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs) has a link to many. The one in Athens is missing though so others probably are too. http://www.mfa.go.th/web/

Thanks For all the replies and advice, the official word from the Thai consulate here in Ireland is that any one looking for work in Thailand can enter on a 30 day tourist visa and if they find suitable employment can leave the country on a visa run and using a letter from thier employer apply for a work permit. Citizens of most European countries the U.S.A Australia and New Zealand can enter without a tourist visa but must not stay more han 30 days. As long as You leave Thailand every thirty days and get Your Passport stamped You shouldn't have too much trouble.
According to The Lonely Planet guide book, the immigration officials rarely ever check for return tickets or for onward journeys as long as You're well dress and look like You're well off.
Thanks for all Your advice and replies. My mind has been eased somewhat about going.Friends of mine provided a few names and addresses of people I can contact on arrival.
Thanks again. Dtcooney

Back
Top Bottom