Thailand or Philippines around July 4th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeannie Knierim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My husband will be traveling to the Philippines and Thailand for work. He has some flexibility in scheduling so he asked me which trip I would prefer to go with him on. I have 5 days around July 4th that I can get away and he will use some vacation time for us to dive either at the beginning or end of the trip. I love seeing a variety of fish, but I especially love the sharks and rays. Would it be better for us to go to the Philippines or Thailand together to dive and would we be better doing a live aboard or finding a resort? I highly value the advice from our fellow divers, so I was hoping those of you that have been to both areas can help me make this decision.

I am afraid LoB is out of the question for both countries(wrong time of the yr).
Philippines vs Thailand in July?
Variety of fish, sharks and rays?
Malapascua in Philippines.
Diving in Philippines and sight seeing in Thailand. Asking too much?

Both are very large countries. What cities in each are easy for you to fly into? With only 5 days I suspect a land based resort will be easiest for you. A liveaboard is probably not an option but again it depends where you would fly into.

We would either fly into Bangkok or Manila depending on which one we choose to do together, so we will be able to take a flight to wherever we need to pretty easily.

I am afraid LoB is out of the question for both countries(wrong time of the yr).
Philippines vs Thailand in July?
Variety of fish, sharks and rays?
Malapascua in Philippines.
Diving in Philippines and sight seeing in Thailand. Asking too much?
Is that doable in 5 days. We don’t have a problem moving around when we travel.

It will take two full days for the round trip between Manila and Malapascua(via Cebu City).
Forget about sharks(thresher) and how about Anilao(well known for macro) in Philippines? It only takes about 3hrs by road from Manila.

Does your 5 days include travel time? It will probably take close to 24 hours to get to either place from Houston. You'll get 2-3 days of diving and then have to take 24 hours off before your flight home. It hardly seems worth all that travel- what if he meets you somewhere in the Caribbean?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom