Thailand Liveaboard - MV Pawara or Scuba Explorer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YLY

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, my partner and I intend to go on a liveaboard trip in Phuket. After some initial research, we both like the sound of Scuba Explorer and also the MV Pawara.
From what we have read, they both seem well equipped with a reliable and professional crew.
I was wondering if anyone has had experience diving with either of these two boats? What were your experiences and how did you find the trip? How were the ammenities, facilities, food, accommodation etc?

I've heard that the Scuba Explorer is mainly catered towards Japanese tourist - is this the case or is there generally a mix of international tourist as well? Don't want to feel too lonely as we don't speak Japanese at all!
Any thoughts and comments would be much appreciated!
Thank in advance.

All the reviews you will find online for Pawara are from the previous operator, so be aware that anybody who replies here will be giving you information related to that previous operator and not the current one. That is, the dive staff, crew, operations manager, everybody that makes a trip what it ultimately is will be different. I don't think you can base your decision regarding Pawara on anything you read online about past Pawara trips. Scuba Explorer, however, is still run by the same company, so past experiences are valid. My most recent Scuba Explorer diver is called buadhai here on Scuba Board. He might have an insight for you about the Japanese angle if you send him a PM (click his name to go straight to his profile page).

All the reviews you will find online for Pawara are from the previous operator, so be aware that anybody who replies here will be giving you information related to that previous operator and not the current one. That is, the dive staff, crew, operations manager, everybody that makes a trip what it ultimately is will be different. I don't think you can base your decision regarding Pawara on anything you read online about past Pawara trips. Scuba Explorer, however, is still run by the same company, so past experiences are valid. My most recent Scuba Explorer diver is called buadhai here on Scuba Board. He might have an insight for you about the Japanese angle if you send him a PM (click his name to go straight to his profile page).

Thanks so much for the insight Quero. I will get in contact with buadhai.

Thanks for your response Quero. I will get in touch with buadhai.

Scuba Explorer, however, is still run by the same company, so past experiences are valid.
The booking staff for Scuba Explorer though has changed. There was an American who speaks Japanese working there, now there are only Japanese speaking people left. It used to be Japanese with the odd non-Japanese diver on board, it looks for the upcoming season it will be exclusively Japanese.
Pawara is now run by the people who were running Hallelujah last season, but the divestaff will not the the same as on Hallelujah.

Thanks stevenl, however I'm really unsure now as to which boat to go with? :confused:

Well, it would really be helpful if you were to give the date you'd like to go.

stevenl, i arrive in Phuket at 3pm on the 26th of March and depart on the 31st @ 8am.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom