Thailand Liveaboard for Group of 12 - Need Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zsuzsika

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I would like to get some suggestions for a liveaboard trip in NOV 2012; I would like to charter a small liveaboard for my group of 12-14 divers. Although everyone is very experienced, for many, this will be their first real liveaboard. We want to keep costs reasonable (we're flying in from the US). All are well traveled, used to budget to luxury accommodations. I am looking for a decent boat, with private rooms and a head for each. At this point, not sure what pricing to expect for 2012, but want to hold space early.

It's hard to know what boat is right for my group. All in the group dive regularly, travel together atleast once a year to a dive destination, and all are determined to help me make this trip a reality. You suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks.

Suzi

Hi Suzi,

if en-suite facilities are important, the ones that spring to my mind are Pawara and Colona.

Mind you, if I were you I would use an agent; I am sure a couple of them will come up with advice here as well. The advantage of agents is that they can arrange everything for you including transfers and hotels plus they have a selection of boats. The good ones - i.e. the ones that are most active here on SB will only work with boats they know and for which quality they can vouch.

Have fun planning :wink:
Karin

For a group that size, your best option would be to try to charter a whole boat. There are several boats that have the carrying capacity you want. It will make a difference what sort of price point you are looking at. It should be possible to arrange a trip for whatever length of time you are looking at, with the operators adjusting their 2012 schedules around your booking, but of course this will require a commitment.

Karin has generously recommended two boats she is familiar with, and I say generously since she knows that her own boat (or rather the boat she manages bookings for) doesn't meet your requirements. Both of these boats are appropriate suggestions, but Karin is also right in saying that you'd be best served by working through an agent, since we have so many boats that these two are far from the only ones that might work well for you.

I would also recommend a full charter. Than its only your group on the boat which gives you more flexibility on the route. Also consider the lenghts of your cruise. Just 5 days or 10 . There are lots of options here in Thailand and most of the boats will have already a price idea for NOV 2012. You can have from cheap to more expensive. On some boats you have to pay for equipment, nitrox, soft drinks, beer..., on other boats all this is included. Lots to think about. Google a bit around, than nail down some options and contact the operator.

good luck

We are indeed looking to charter a boat. Just figuring out which one is best is tricky. We will be in Thailand for a week before heading to Phuket, so the cost is a big issue. I don't know what's realistic - we are okay with rustic, but people I know will want their own head and if possible, air conditioning.

This is a bit tricky, because there are some options that would fit your bill regarding private heads, but these boats tend to be bigger. And there really is no point in paying for 18, 20 or more spaces if you're only using 12-14.

There are also some charter options for smaller boats that seem to meet your requirements though.

I would be happy to help you out with this, as I'm sure would some of the others here.

As my husband and I already know our way around Bangkok and the Phuket area, we probably are going to take care of all the other "stuff" associated with this trip ourselves. We already have plans to do an air/land package the week before we head over to Phuket to go diving - mostly the non-divers on this part of the trip. Some divers plan to do their own thing prior to meeting up with us in Phuket.

As far as the liveaboard goes, I have experience working with an agent and also doing this on my own. I can go either way. I was mostly hoping to get some feedback from divers with recommendations. But all the information here so far has been helpful.

Thanks.

Suzi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom