Thailand in October?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deff avoid west coast at that time of year. Koh Tao should be best bet for weather. If anyone's thinking of doing a course Id say avoid the small number of sops offering openwater for under 6k Baht. They seem to cram all confined sessions into one day and with groups of 8 - you dont get much 1 to 1 attention. Also have to wonder where else they're cutting costs generally, not unheard of for there not to be o2 on the boats of these low cost operators.
By the large though, the majority of the dive centres on KT are very professional and all seem to have large numbers of assistants on most courses in the form of trainee DM's.

Koh Tao is not "off the beaten track" but I'm not sure what you are looking for - that is you may still find it very nice

Getting there will be either very cheap or very pricey (for Thailand). If you take the train from BKK (Bangkok) to Surat Thani and get on a ferry it will be cheap. If you fly in to Koh Samui it will be expensive because Bangkok airways has a stranglehold on the flights and the airport is private and the fees are high.

As development in Thailand increases, I'm looking to explore more in The South but missed the Koh Lanta and Koh Lipe Season this year. Hope to go there this fall as I consider these places remote.

I'll bet you have a nice time wherever you go in the LOS - Land Of Smiles.

Anywhere on the West, particularly Similans.

Seas can be very rough and diving is not great anyway.
From all accounts Similans are not 30% of what they were 3 years ago.

Best to go to Ko Tao, but still not a great time.

Fox,

October in Similans can be rough or it can be calm. Weather changes a lot. The only months that are relatively stable are November to May, but even then you can get a storm. It's the same all over the world. We do not control the weather. October is a month that you need to cross your fingers for and hope for good weather.

Similans last year were the best they have been for many years. Some would say that 10 years ago it was better, more big fish, many less divers, but last year was very good for all kinds of creatures. A lot of Mantas, all kinds of sharks and the divemasters round here are starting to open their eyes a bit to small stuff like frogfish, ribbon eels, nudibranchs, ghost pipefish which can all be seen in the Similan / Surin area.

...and I have pretty much decided on Koh Tao.

Similan sounds great but I think it will have to wait until my big adventure next year.

So, can anyone recommend a good dive centre in Koh Tao? Or tell me if there is anywhere to avoid? My friend is doing her OW qualifying dives so if anybody's done a course and can let me know if it was good that would be fab!

Anybody else going around the same time? Might see ya there...
:wink:

Thanks a lot for the advice so far!

LOL

Hi Suzana

I've only been with Buddha View school when I was there in April and that was like a factory churning out masses of students. I'm not sure what their fun-dive policy is like as I never got th chance to use it but with their teaching, it was a small group with one Instructor and a trainee or qualified DM. The boats didn't seem over crowded despite the number of people they push through. A fairly good setup from what I experienced.

I'm probably going to be going with a place called http://www.kohtaocottage.com - their resort looks pretty good...and with 24hr electricity! Ok, i'm like that! I'm just going to be fun diving and relaxing! I think they are just a few resorts down from Buddha View (on the same beach). There are others but so many to choose from!

Perhaps other people have other experiences and/or recommend other beaches on KT?

Will be there hopefully from 7th October onwards.

Oh forgot - Koh tao Cottage have emailed to say they do a discount on accom for divers. Regular rates of accom around 550baht per night (fan)......so a bit of a saving.

Koh tao has it's rainy season oct dec.
I was there last year sep to october have a look at some photos of koh tao on my website
www.pbase.com/maccajim

Don't know what Agstreet is talking about!!
The monsoon hit koh tao around end sept last year all the boats shelter in the harbour the seas are to rough for the slow ferry and most people leave the island and close up shop, diving viz is crap.

We moved over to Phi Phi where the rainy season has almost finished early october diving was excellent though a bit busier than koh tao. I also went to Koh lanta early oct all the dive shops were closed so we stayed on at phi phi.

If i were you i would avoid koh tao at that time and stay around phi phi or krabi, this is the end of there monsoon and start of koh taos so prices pretty good high season starts dec on phi phi when they raise prices for rooms.

good luck

October is a tricky month on both coasts in Thailand. Since the west side has a lot better marine life, I would go to the west side.

You can try Khao Lak, if the shoe dive is good, take a day trip to Similan before paying big money for the liveaboard.

There is a wreck and a good reef around Khao Lak.

http://www.khaolakbeach.com

Back
Top Bottom