Thailand in Nov.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jklassy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm considering a diving trip to Thailand from Nov 9th through the 27th. I'm an experienced diver, but very unfamiliar with Thailand. Is Nov a good time to go? What part of Thailand would be best at that time?

I don't think I can do a live aboard - sea sickness requires that I hit land every day or two. Are there good day trips? What about tsunami damage? Is now a good time for Thailand, or would I be better off heading somewhere else and checking out Thailand in a couple years?

Also, I am a female and would be traveling alone. Is that something to be overly concerned about there?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

November is an excellent month. Just before the peak of the high season, but with excellent diving conditions.

The seas at the Similans are really flat, and since the islands offer protection there is always shelter, but if you still get seasick, you could try a short liveaboard trip. There are already options starting at 2 days/1 night, to either the Similans or to Hin Daeng and hin Muang.

Also the daytrip sites are really worth a visit, I personally really love Anemone Reef, also Shark Point, Koh Bida Nai and Koh Bida Nok offer very good diving. Than there is the King Cruiser wreck, Koh Doc Mai has a nice wall dive, Racha Noi with very clear, blue waters, etc.

In November the weather at the Andaman Coast is better than in the Gulf, and since also the diving there is better, that choice is quite easy to make. The daytrip divesites are not damaged, at the Similans some of the sites have sustained some damage, but if you don't know the sites before the tsunami, you won't notice the difference. 2-3 of the Similan sites have sustained more damage and are not advisable to dive at the moment. There are plenty of sites left, so no problem at all.

Female travelling alone: no problem at all, just watch out a bit, as normal.

Have fun.

Welcome to Thailand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Andaman Sea would be preferred over The Gulf of Siam in November. The dive site suggested by Stevenl are good ones. He should be able to help you arrange for your diving activities.

A friend of mine went and stay on Phi Phi Island for a week and get his day trips from dive operators on the island. Might be something you would consider.

jklassy:
I'm considering a diving trip to Thailand from Nov 9th through the 27th. I'm an experienced diver, but very unfamiliar with Thailand. Is Nov a good time to go? What part of Thailand would be best at that time?

I don't think I can do a live aboard - sea sickness requires that I hit land every day or two. Are there good day trips? What about tsunami damage? Is now a good time for Thailand, or would I be better off heading somewhere else and checking out Thailand in a couple years?

Also, I am a female and would be traveling alone. Is that something to be overly concerned about there?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

In addition - if you really can not go on a daytrip or short liveaboard due to seasickness problems there are some dive operators on Kata Noi and Kata beaches who offer shore dives as well as local boat dives to sites only 5 minutes away from these respective beaches. Not indicative of the best diving that Thailand has to offer but certainly well worth it especially since there are very few divers at these sites by comparison. Plenty of the smaller marine creatures. Otherwise enjoy your holiday!

Andaman Sea highly recommended, November to January is the "high" season in Thailand due to better weather- slightly cooler and less rain. From Phuket most of the day trips are a couple of hours boat ride each way, with two tank 50 min max dives. I agree if you can get closer to the diving that would be easier such as staying at Phi Phi island. You will enjoy the 80 degree water, 100 ft vis., and so much colorful marine life. The people of Thailand are wonderful, you can't beat the food, and the low prices are amazing. Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom