Thailand diving - confused!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Baker Girl

You want West Railei beach or the other beach which you get to by walking past the Rayavadee Hotel - can't remember the name.

I used Phra Nang Divers at Ao Nang beach - they were very good - search for their website under pndivers - I can't remember whether they are .com or .net

regards

Now that's enough you boys! Dave and James, do you have some rivalry going on here? Either that, or you have too much time up your sleeves...

Now who am i supposed to believe? Maybe Welshman's the man. Hey, where are all the girls? This seems to be a very male dominated site. Suits me just fine!

3 weeks tonight until i head off...can't wait!

Baker Girl

I've certainly both stayed and dived in Krabi, Phuket and Phi Phi.

In Krabi most of the dive shops are on Ao Nang beach but some have "offices" on West Railei. Most of the dive shops will pick you up using a long tail boat. Diving is OK - mostly around the offshore limestone pinnacles with max depth about 18-20 metres.

Local diving around Phuket is similar - there are a few sites around a 5-10 minute long tail ride away. The main dive sites are reached by dive boat from Chalong beach on the South East side of Phuket - sites like Anemone Reef, King Cruiser wreck, Shark Point, Koh Racha Yai and Koh Racha Noi. They are usually within 1 to 1 1/2 half hours away.

Many of these sites are midway between Phi Phi and Chalong. Phi Phi also has local diving again around the limestone pinnacles and generally this is of a higher quality than Krabi since the visibility is much better.

You can shop around the dive shops in Phuket and Krabi but on Phi Phi there is a cartel arrangement - they all quote the same price. The main bit of Phi Phi is very touristy and crowded. There are some hotels at the North East end of Phi Phi which are much quieter but you have to get a long tail to get to the main area where all the dive shops are - there are no roads on Phi Phi.

Best diving in the area is Hin Deng/Hin Muang which is South of Krabi and South East of Phi Phi - this would usually be an overnight trip since its a few hours by boat - Phi Phi is closer than Krabi.

Hope this helps

Regards

Welshman

Baker Girl,

I believe all of the above diving information is true. However, if you want the best diving, you need to see the Similan Islands, though some of this diving is not for novices. For a relaxing, partying and not so touristy time, you'll like Krabi. There's a good crowd on Phi Phi, but I mean a CROWD.

Phuket has areas of outstanding beauty, and others which are complete disasters of international tourism (Patong Beach). A couple of days diving here, and then I'd recommend a day when you rent a car (cheap) and see some nature. Of course, if you want to party, it's here, but you could get the ferry over to Phi Phi which is better for young folk, and there are NO bar girls.

I wish you happy travels

Sunrise Divers - Similan Islands Liveaboards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom