Thailand diving and non-diving activities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jklassy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm making a return trip to Thailand for the first half of March. Last time I was there I did primarily liveaboard trips and some beach time. This time around I'm thinking of doing less diving and more sightseeing and/or other activities. What are the must-do non-diving activities?

I didn't spend time in Bangkok the first trip. I'm thinking about that or a few days in Chang Mai. Would like to do a short liveaboard, but then what else in Phuket should I do? I've seeing sea kayaking, hiking, mountain biking, etc. Any recommendations?

Also, this time of year is the southern Hin Daeng, Phi Phi trip better or the four day Similans trip?

Thanks!

Hi July,

Both Chiang Mai and Bangkok are very nice destinations to spend a few days. persoanlly I would go to Chiang Mai, more like a vacation, but also Bangkok is IMO a mlovely city (you either hate or love Bangkok it seems).

Other things to do on Phuket: trip to Phi Phi, kayak trip to Phang Nga, nice tour on the island, either organised or by yourself, Phuket Fantasea, lovely beaches of course, evening in Patong, Simon Cabaret, etc.

Both South Andaman (Hin Daeng etc.) and Similans are nice this time of year. South Andaman has the advantage that you can do shorter quality trips than to the Similans.

Hi Steven,
I read somewhere that trekking around Chang Mai this time of year is not great because of the weather (too hot, jungle too dry so not lush and beautiful). Is Chang Mai more of a city destination?

Also, do you know if it's possible to fly from Bangkok to Chang Mai to Phuket and then back to Bangkok, or do I have to go back to Bangkok from Chang Mai and take a separate flight to Phuket?

Every time I look at going somewhere other than Phuket, I remember how relaxing it was in Kata and I just want to be lazy and go back there. :)

I was there last January, and to me it was very cold, used to the weather here. I think you will find the jungle at its nicest in the rainy season, when you also may not want to be trekking :)

You can fly direct Chiang Mai-Phuket, one flight every day with Thai Air.

Ok. A few more questions for you. I hear there's an over night diving trip to Phi Phi, not a liveaboard, but diving during the day and staying on the island at night. How does that compare to the liveaboard trips to Phi Phi. Would you recommend one over the other?

When I was there last time I stayed at Kata Country House, which I really liked. But, it seems quite a bit more expensive now than when I was there in 2006. Have prices increased that much, or is it because you booked it for me? :)

And another question that's probably not so cool for a diving forum....is there much for fishing charters out of Phuket?

Do you still recommend Air Asia for travel to Phuket from Bangkok?

Any chance of extending into April? Songkran is a great time to be there.. enjoy the festivities with he locals... They enjoy having visitors join in on the fun (as long as you are a good sport about it)

As of right now I have a mileage ticket to Bangkok for mar 1 thru mar 19. I could possibly modify it, but then doesn't the diving in April get worse? when is the festival?

Also, I could go anywhere in the region I can fly to from Bangkok. Is there great diving anywhere else in the region at this time of year?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom