Thailand - Diving & Accomodation, planning to stay at least 1 month...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CPixie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I'm not an experienced diver (Open Water only), but I'm planning on doing my Advanced Open Water in Thailand this year. And very likely the other courses up to Dive Master. (Plus, if I still got the bug, possibly Dive Instructor).

I'll arrive in Thailand end of September/beginning of October & I was hoping to stay at least one month. Does anybody know any pointers for locations & rental prices for an appartment (wih kitchen/internet access)? Maybe even a link to accomodation agencies?

Ideally, I'd like to find a town/beach/place that's reasonable quiet (not too bothered about hectic nighlife), with a good dive school / dives sites nearby, and safe parking for a motorcycle. Two years ago I stayed near Chalong Bay on Phuket for 2 weeks - something like this would be nice, though I'm open to other locations.

Thanks a lot!
CPixie

CP, you don't say where in Thailand you want to stay. The price of accommodations varies from place to place within the country, and, as you know, from town to town on Phuket.

Unfortunately, the best way to find a place to live here on Phuket is by looking for rental signs up on buildings, and you really need to be here to do it that way. In late September/early October you should be able to just show up and find someplace for a couple of days while you sort out motorbike rental and drive around looking for lodgings. If you're uncomfortable with not having it locked in before you arrive, the Phuket Gazette does have some ads for accommodations.

Hi,

I'm open to any place in Thailand - that's why I didn't specify a location. But I guess Khao Lac would be nice: quieter than Patong.

As for motorcycle: I'm actually bringing my own motorbike. (I'm currently on a RTW trip on a 650cc - hence safe parking would be good). What's the deal with internet access in rental apartments? Is it usually included? Is it easy to get internet access put in, if it's not yet available in the apartment?

Maybe SimilanDiver can help with monthly rental rates up at Khao Lak. I'd guess that they're a bit lower than here on Phuket. When looking at prices, there are things that tend to make the price of a 'room' (like a bedsit with a private bathroom, but usually without cooking facilities) more expensive. If there is air conditioning, it costs more; fans are 'standard'. If there is wireless internet, it costs more; no internet at all is standard. Basically, you can get whatever you want, but you will most likely have to pay a bit more for a place with internet.

Getting internet installed is an undertaking, and it's not instant. One of my students who is here for several months has chosen to buy a mobile phone card with a special subscription from Happy that allows him to log on with a bluetooth device through the phone.

Hope that helps some :)

Hi,

I'm not an experienced diver (Open Water only), but I'm planning on doing my Advanced Open Water in Thailand this year. And very likely the other courses up to Dive Master. (Plus, if I still got the bug, possibly Dive Instructor).

I'll arrive in Thailand end of September/beginning of October & I was hoping to stay at least one month. Does anybody know any pointers for locations & rental prices for an appartment (wih kitchen/internet access)? Maybe even a link to accomodation agencies?

Ideally, I'd like to find a town/beach/place that's reasonable quiet (not too bothered about hectic nighlife), with a good dive school / dives sites nearby, and safe parking for a motorcycle. Two years ago I stayed near Chalong Bay on Phuket for 2 weeks - something like this would be nice, though I'm open to other locations.

Thanks a lot!
CPixie
Hi CPixie,
Why don't you stay around Chalong area again , that's where most boats are departing for Phuket area and Accommodation is very cheap and quite safe for your Bike.

Thanks for the answers. I guess Chalong wasn't too bad - i just thought it'd be nice to go somewhere else this time.
Because of the motorbike, unfortunately I'm restricted to places where I can get by boat/ferry. (Flying the motorcycle is not an option, since it's quite heavy and classified as dangerous goods).

As for Krabi: Can I & the bike get there by boat? (Bike is about 250kg)

If I was to look for self-catered accomodation (basic kitchen facilities) with internet access already installed: How much should I budget for rent in Chalong or Khao Lak?
(Also: Is Khao Lak diveable in mid-October?)

Thanks
CPixie

For Krabi: you can drive all of the way on good roads. There are boats departing from Phuket as well.

For the kind of flat you describe, I just noticed an ad in this week's Gazette for a new building in Chalong:

Serviced apartments. 50 sqm and 55 sqm aircon rooms available now. Monthly rent from 11,500 bath incl Wi-Fi, housekeeping, full furnishings, big balcony, kitchenette, rooftop pool.

As Quero said, good roads to ride your bike around. I'm just fed up I sold my Triumph Trophy before I came out here as there seem to be plenty of other bikes around. :doh2:However I've brought my old Norton with me as a basket case to rebuild (next low season I hope).:D

Do you really need the self catering option? You can still eat out fairly cheaply and the last thing we want to do after a day out on the boat, then back pumping tanks, rinsing kit etc. is cook. However, I can check it out for you as we had just what you want for 7,500 baht per month whilst we were waiting for our house to be finished. Krabi has the Tesco/Lotus and Makro for the basics and plenty of local markets too.

Thanks for the answers! I think I've got it sussed - it'll probably be Phuket (Kata or Chalong) or Ko Tao (if accessible for the motorcycle).
Any pointers for a good dive school/dive instructor there?

CPixie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom