Thailand Dive Instructor Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trey9123

Registered
Reaction score
I currently live in South Carolina in the US but am in the process of moving to the United Arab Emirates for a teaching job. I'm going to have a pretty long break next summer and for the first time in a long time some disposable income. I would like to do one of those all inclusive Dive Instructor Training programs in Thailand (I currently have my Advanced Open Water certification). I'm hoping that I can go all the way to open water instructor all in a month or so. I did some web searching and there seem to be a lot of them and they are advertise that they are the best. I was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences with any of the operators there and if you could suggest any that you would be comfortable using. I want a program that is as all inclusive as possible, I don't want to be dealing with finding a place to live or transportation when I get there. I would also like to find one with an English speaking staff that caters to Westerners. Any help that anyone could give me would be much appreciated. Thanks

Hi,

Sorry I don't have any help for you on this one. I was actually hoping to get some similar info to that you have asked for. I'm a PADI Divemaster and really would like to do my IDC in Thailand but don;t really know where to start when looking at the best place to do it. Good luck in your quest!

James

I currently live in South Carolina in the US but am in the process of moving to the United Arab Emirates for a teaching job. I'm going to have a pretty long break next summer and for the first time in a long time some disposable income. I would like to do one of those all inclusive Dive Instructor Training programs in Thailand (I currently have my Advanced Open Water certification). I'm hoping that I can go all the way to open water instructor all in a month or so. I did some web searching and there seem to be a lot of them and they are advertise that they are the best. I was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences with any of the operators there and if you could suggest any that you would be comfortable using. I want a program that is as all inclusive as possible, I don't want to be dealing with finding a place to live or transportation when I get there. I would also like to find one with an English speaking staff that caters to Westerners. Any help that anyone could give me would be much appreciated. Thanks

Hi Trey,

What you're looking for is available in all dive regions of Thailand, Koh Samui (where I'm located, Koh Tao, Phuket and Pattaya for instance.
One thing that you should re adjust though, is your time line, going from Rescue diver to Instructor in just a month is not possible, the Rescue diver course and the EFR course are 4 days, the Divemaster course is about 6 weeks long (providing you already have 20 logged dives, so you can start that course) and an IDC followed by a PADI IE is around 15 or 16 days.

It looks like you have to break up your training in various parts, or get up to Divemaster level in Dubai (there are plenty of dive stores there) and come to Thailand for your IDC.

Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

Maybe not recomended, but if you simply want the cards there are places in Pattaya will do the DM course in about 1 week. And the rescue in 2 days, efr 1 day.

Hi Trey,

What you're looking for is available in all dive regions of Thailand, Koh Samui (where I'm located, Koh Tao, Phuket and Pattaya for instance.
One thing that you should re adjust though, is your time line, going from Rescue diver to Instructor in just a month is not possible, the Rescue diver course and the EFR course are 4 days, the Divemaster course is about 6 weeks long (providing you already have 20 logged dives, so you can start that course) and an IDC followed by a PADI IE is around 15 or 16 days.

It looks like you have to break up your training in various parts, or get up to Divemaster level in Dubai (there are plenty of dive stores there) and come to Thailand for your IDC.

I would agree totally with what has been said by limbo. I myself are based in Phuket and could also arrange these courses for you, but the time line is the problem. I would recommend to do at least your rescue diver and efr in dubai, plus get the books and materials you need for your DM course, if you have done the reading ad knowledge reviews before the course it can reduce the time needed dramatically.

Also be very wary of people who tell you that this is possible, or even that you can do your whole rescue diver course in 2 days, from my experience it is best to take your time with the courses and really understand the concepts.

If you need any further help or advice please feel free to send me a personal message.

Thanks

So if I went ahead and got up to rescue diver, or even Dive Master in the UAE, what would be the total package cost and timelines of getting my dive instructor certification in Thailand? Including learning materials, room, dives, and extra spending money. Again thanks.

There are several really good programs out there. I just completed AI and am doing IDC now in Singapore. What a great learning experience. To do it right, take the time as there is much to learn and will make you a much better/safer diver. I thought that i knew it all and learned that i did not. A humbling experience. I have gained a great appreciation for what a PADI instructor goes thru and they are well trained.

I have correspondend with Camile at Padi IDC Thailand Scuba Diving Instructor Courses and Internships. I think he will be straight with you and set your expectations as to time and money.

Please don't rush through it. It's screwing you over and screwing the rest of the industry over to have more people smashing their way through the steps just to get a higher cert level.

Especially the idea mentioned about doing the DM in a week. That just scares the hell out of me.

I think you've gotten more than enough good advice from the above posters about how do go about starting earlier in the UAE, etc, so I have no direct advice to add. I just shudder to think of the kind of (or complete lack thereof) instruction you will get if you rush through things on such a tight schedule.

I hope it works out for you and good luck working out a new plan.

Once you think you've roughed a plan, PM me and I can give you some leads here on KT on good Course Directors and good IDC centers.

Or, just go for a beer. I'm from LA, but I've got family in the Carolinas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom