Thailand and Bali dive ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh- and I forgot to say -jnbblues- you will have a wonderful time in Bali- it can be very romantic and also exciting and interesting too!!!
I'm heading back for another trip this summer and can't wait :)

jnbblues:
I everyone. I'm going to be in thailand and bali for my honeymoon this coming December (yes, still far away) and wanted to get some ideas/thoughts on where and who I should dive with.

Will i need any special equipment for these regions? (<3mm wetsuits, etc)

Many thanks!
blues

Hi Blues,

I was in Bali last year (July). Here's what I found:

1. Staying in Bali. I stayed in Nusa Dua. Although the hotels were really nice I think for me Kuta/Legian/Semenyak would have been a better choice. More life, better beaches and more to do. Not that Nusa Dua wasn't nice it's just a little bit far from the "action". Be sure to visit Dreamland, surfers hangout. If you want to treat that someone special to a good meal eat at Gado-Gado in Seminyak. Very nice place.....she/he will be impressed.

2. Diving. Not the best time but the north west corner is THE place to dive. Amazing critter diving ala Lembeh. I dived Tulamben which was above average and enjoyable, don';t miss it, it's like the reef fish are on steroids. Nusa Penida is also good but currents are a concern if you don;t have sufficient experience. I found the book Diving Indonesia a good reference book with lots of info on Bali diving.

Happy trails and have fun.....

Deano2

thanks Wisnu- I'm planning on booking to stay with them- it will be my treat as it is a little more posh than I am used to!!!
I liked the Liberty so much when I visited last that I am looking forward to a good few dives on the spot.

Deano2:
1. Staying in Bali. I stayed in Nusa Dua. Although the hotels were really nice I think for me Kuta/Legian/Semenyak would have been a better choice. More life, better beaches and more to do. Not that Nusa Dua wasn't nice it's just a little bit far from the "action".

2. Diving. Not the best time but the north west corner is THE place to dive. Amazing critter diving ala Lembeh. I dived Tulamben which was above average and enjoyable, don';t miss it, it's like the reef fish are on steroids. Nusa Penida is also good but currents are a concern if you don;t have sufficient experience. I found the book Diving Indonesia a good reference book with lots of info on Bali diving.

My $.02...Like Deano, I'd recommend getting out of Nusa Dua to see more of the place...We've been twice and stayed in Canidasa (up the east coast) for a week both times as well as a week in Lovina (north coast) and some time in Kuta and Nusa Dua and Ubud...

For my money Kuta and Nusa Dua were the 'lowlights' of the trip...nice for kicking back in fairly posh surrounds or getting into the nightlife (OK for a day or two), but a bit crowded and expensive relative to the time we had in Candidasa or Lovina...plus much further to get to the really good diving...If you like your creature comforts and don't needs heaps of nightlife, I'd recommend going north or east and finding a nice place away from the bustle of Kuta and the expense of Nusa Dua ...We loved the Lovina area as it was laid back, with nice surrounds for a very affordable $$ and we could go east or west for good diving...

the diving at Menjangan (NW) was good, but I thought the diving from Candidasa, while a little more challenging (temp, current), was just as good or better for fish life...Nusa Penida is on my 'must dive' list for every trip to Bali...also, veeeeeery easy diving at Padangbai near the oil refinery in extensive coral gardens...Tulamben was good, Ahmed was OK...YMMV

Back
Top Bottom