TG6 - which housing to get? and dome lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kiki117

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, first time poster here :)

I am about to get a TG6, and where I am I can either get the Olympus housing, or either of the Sea Frogs ones (plastic or aluminium). (There's also a Weefine one here, but its a jump up in price and I'm not sure I want to spend that much, especially since the TG6 is already waterproof anyway).

I have been recommended by someone to get the Olympus housing with AOI dome lens, but I'm not sure I can get the AOI lens as it seems to be out of stock. Also another shop has suggested I don't get the Olympus housing since the spare parts for it may not be available anymore (however that shop is trying to sell me the Seafrogs housing, because that's the only one they have in stock, so I was hoping to get an independent opinion please).

So my question is - is the Seafrog housing ok? Is it better/worse than the Olympus one?
Is it worth getting the aluminium Seafrog one, or is the plastic one ok? (aluminium is double the price).

Also, for the dome lens, does anyone know if the Xadventurer dome lens (UWL150-M52) is ok? Or should I try to get an AOI one? (Or something else?)

I am new to having all of these different things to consider and am getting a bit confused.... thank you in advance!

(next I will consider lighting/strobes... so also if there is any difference between the housings in this regard, please also let me know!)

My experience is with a TG-4 and Olympus housing, plus an Oly WA lens. Probably 75+ dives on the camera/housing which was bought in 2015, and traveled internationally every year except 19/20 (COVID). Still use the original O-rings with minimal grease/maintenance.

Only problem I ever had was when we went to Bali. All of my diving before that trip, and since that trip, has been in Roatan. In Roatan I dive 2-4 times a day and take my camera out of the case to change batteries after 2 dives. At the end of each day of diving the closed case and the closed but separate camera get thoroughly rinsed and soaked in fresh water. In Bali I did the same thing but on day 2 at 65' I noticed a slow leak when my pictures started getting fuzzy. I shut the camera down and continued the dive (another 30-40 minutes). My hope was that the camera would survive the slow leak due to it being waterproof to 15' on its own. Once back to the resort after the dive I checked the camera and it was good, just needed a rinse and soak. Examining the case I found 3 black "dots" on the O-ring around the outside edge. 3 grains of black silt/sand. I cleaned and lubed the O-ring, reinserted it and took the case to the bottom of the pool with a piece of tissue paper in it, and a weight to hold it down. A short while later I retrieved it and took it back to the photo room. Tissue paper was dry. Dove the rest of the trip with camera operating as normal, but made sure to remove and check the O-ring EVERY time I got back to the resort. There was at least 1-2 black grains each time. Back to diving in Roatan and I started with looking at the O-ring every day, then every couple of days, now it's just at the beginning and end of each trip. Something in the fine, black silt in Bali meant it could get in as far as the O-ring, but Roatan is just fine!!

TL;DR - The Oly housing works and has proven to be very reliable over 8 years of regular use

Bali and other dark sand Pacific locations (Philippines) can challenge one to see any sand or debris on o-rings. I advise doing so in bright light plus even use your finger to "feel" for any debris.

You also need to check the flat lip or sealing surface the o-ring slides into position making your housing water tight.

As FezUSA says and I can confirm the polycarbonate housing manufactured by AOI (including Fantasea brand housings) are really good :)

David Haas

PS - I also posted this in another forum people were asking about down sizing or what simple systems to buy and still get good pics without breaking the bank......One person had asked about aluminum housings which are great but not as needed a many think......

I will give another summary based on my experiences in down sizing over the past few years......

Is Macro and SUPER Macro as a prime interest? The Olympus TG-6 is pretty stellar even shooting the camera's little built in flash with several prize winners in big contests to prove it.

Picture Interest - For general shooting like fish, dive buddies and wide angle shots - Either a Sony RX100 VA or VII or Canon G7X II / III choices. You can add a wide angle wet lens and have flexibility in a larger 1" sensor than the Olympus TG-6.

Housings - If set on aluminum yes, Nauticam is great but Marelux recently debuted new compact housings for the Olympus TG-6 and Sony RX100 VII. I used a Sony RX100 VII in a Fantasea housing for whales in Moorea plus my tried and true Canon G7X II in a Fantasea housing which I still own.

Many only want a metal housing. For me after 1,000 + dives using Fantasea housings all over the world I think they're fine.

The Olympus branded TG-6 housing (PT-59) is made by AOI in China same factory as Fantasea housings. Only drawback to the Olympus PT-59 housing is it has a single back o-ring where Fantasea have 2 o-rings.

I don't think the PT-59 housing has been updated to a vacuum system option like the newest Fantasea housings.

For the Olympus brand housing be SURE to use the included o-ring grease specifically for the colored SILICONE o-rings and you'll be fine.

Lighting - Choose a strobe(s) or maybe a video light?

Strobe lit pics for stills have punch to them but you'll need more NIMH batteries, charger, tray, arm, optical cord(s), etc. I've shot with one single small Inon S2000 strobe mounted on my Fantasea housing's cold shoe and no tray and was happy with pictures I produced.

I also shot for years with a pair of small Inon S2000 units on a light weight tray and 12" Flex arms. Super easy to fold in and carry from the room to boat and back. Yeah, those arms sometimes "squeak" when you re-adjust aim, big deal LOL.....

Being extremely lazy and wanting to enjoy my dives....I continually look for how to take less in the water and travel with so there's that consideration.

Jason Bourne movies saves the world traveling with a small gym bag and is my hero :)
unknown.gif

Good luck on your choices!

David Haas

IMG_6609.jpeg

Hello, first time poster here :)

I am about to get a TG6, and where I am I can either get the Olympus housing, or either of the Sea Frogs ones (plastic or aluminium). (There's also a Weefine one here, but its a jump up in price and I'm not sure I want to spend that much, especially since the TG6 is already waterproof anyway).

I have been recommended by someone to get the Olympus housing with AOI dome lens, but I'm not sure I can get the AOI lens as it seems to be out of stock. Also another shop has suggested I don't get the Olympus housing since the spare parts for it may not be available anymore (however that shop is trying to sell me the Seafrogs housing, because that's the only one they have in stock, so I was hoping to get an independent opinion please).

So my question is - is the Seafrog housing ok? Is it better/worse than the Olympus one?
Is it worth getting the aluminium Seafrog one, or is the plastic one ok? (aluminium is double the price).

Also, for the dome lens, does anyone know if the Xadventurer dome lens (UWL150-M52) is ok? Or should I try to get an AOI one? (Or something else?)

I am new to having all of these different things to consider and am getting a bit confused.... thank you in advance!

(next I will consider lighting/strobes... so also if there is any difference between the housings in this regard, please also let me know!)
I have the Olympus housing and love it. Simple to use and a great first housing. I have the kraken krl02 wide angle lens, which is a little more money. When you get into the strobes you will need a tray (i use the ultralight tray, along with sea and sea yes-01 solis strobes. go to backscatter.com and you will find a video on how to setup the TG6.

The Olympus branded TG-6 housing (PT-59) is made by AOI in China same factory as Fantasea housings. Only drawback to the Olympus PT-59 housing is it has a single back o-ring where Fantasea have 2 o-rings.

I don't think the PT-59 housing has been updated to a vacuum system option like the newest Fantasea housings.
I'm upgrading my old Sony Marine Pack to a Olympus TG-6. Besides the single o-ring and no vacuum system, the Olympus PT-59 housing is only rated to 148 feet. I cannot find a polycarbonate Fantasea housing for a TG-6 anywhere.
Do you know anything about the Sea Frogs polycarbonate housing? It is rated to 195 feet, has a double o-ring and a vacuum system. Olympus TG-6 60m/195ft SeaFrogs Underwater Camera Housing (Black)

Do you know anything about the Sea Frogs polycarbonate housing? It is rated to 195 feet, has a double o-ring and a vacuum system. Olympus TG-6 60m/195ft SeaFrogs Underwater Camera Housing (Black)
It has somewhat iffy zoom control. I don't own one (I use a SeaFrogs Sony A6xxx housing, which does not suffer from these issues), but I've seen users have problems engaging the zoom, and the spring itself breaking. They sell a replacement, but $5.99 + shipping for a tiny bit of spring is annoying when it's their design oversight that leads to the problem.

Fantasea makes housings for Sony and Canon compacts and they work fine for sport diving to 40 meters plus are rated deeper.

90% (or more) sport divers don't feel the need to go below 100' especially with the aging active diving population.

Just one old guy in that segment :)

David Haas

I have the Olympus housing and the Backscatter Wide Angle Wet Lens, I'm super happy with that combination.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom