TG-7 or Olympus E-M10 IV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtn_scuba_guy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all!

Currently have a GoPro Hero 10 that has been okay for capturing the moment. Looking to get into still underwater photography now and facing the classical dilemma of starting with entry level or jumping into something more heavy duty that'll likely last me my lifetime.

Looking at TG-7 or E-M10 IV. Off the bat, looking at roughly a $900 USD difference (~$600 for TG-7, ~1.5k for E-M10 IV). So my question is, just how much more spectacular is that $900 getting me? I know the TG-7 is popular, and I prefer the simple setup/smaller form factor, but a little worried I'll have it out for 20 dives and already want more. Rather throw that $600 into the better setup then. But also not jazzed about tons of lens etc that suddenly turn this into thousands.

Any thoughts? Surely I'm not the only one who's come across this. :) Thanks!

Edit: The prices are above are for camera and a housing. Also open to other camera suggestions. Have scoped out the sony RX100 series (a bit pricey too but fixed lens) and A6100.

What kind of pictures do you want to take? Macro, ambient light, wide-angle reef scenes, fast-moving fish, over-and-under, what?
What will you do with your pictures....internet exchange, wall-hangings, contests, what?

Great questions. I suppose I'd like to do it all and have the versatility to do so. Doesn't need to be the best quality ever, but I'd like to be able to get some pretty great shots I can be proud of and share with friends/community. Not looking to make this my full-time job.

I've realized part of the issue is the housings. Specifically, for the E-M10 IV, the only housing I'm finding is $700. Where as say the A6100/6400, I can find a seafrogs for $270. So that brings it closer to $1k which I can stomach easier.

Maybe this instead:

Your two choices, other than sharing the same brand, have so little in common as to make me wonder how you could even compare them. One is a point and shoot with a tiny little sensor and no manual control and the other is a relatively full featured mirrorless camera with manual control and a comparitively huge sensor (compared to the TG).

The TG is an excellent camera for what it is and does, particularly some often stunning macro photos but it is otherwise, well, an opinion, not a very good camera. Thing is, by the time you invest in strobes and/or video lights and a tray to assemble it all to, the result is not very compact at all, even cumbersome and the price of the camera and housing begin to be seen as only part of the investment, not THE investment.

Another thought, if you see this purchase as an end point then get the TG, if you see this as a beginning of an adventure, then get more camera, a system you can grow in and move lenses forward to future bodies and housings.

And yet another thought, if you do your surface "photography" with a cell phone, go TG, if you enjoy composing your own ideas in an image, get the OM or other more capable platform.

Sensor size comparison, the TG is the 1/2.5 and the OM is a Four Thirds sensor:

I'll just say I recently moved from a TG-4 to an EM-10 iv, and am very glad I did. My keeper rate increased dramatically, as well as my satisfaction with my photos. The camera is compact, easy to use, and very light.

You may want to consider your lenses which can add a lot of cost. I shoot a TG6 with a lens for wide angle (macro is good on the tg6). Also lights, which I do not use but are important. You can easily spend $500+ on a decent lens and over that for lighting.

Back
Top Bottom