Tg-6 Strobe Upgrade from Video Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of my friends and often dive buddies shoots a TG6 with two YSD2 strobes and a video light:

I am an Inon guy and recommend the S2000 (X2 in due course). You can see his rig above. I use two Inon D2000 (now D200) and wish I had Z240 or Z330s but I am shooting with a Sony A6400 and it's larger sensor needs more light.

Is he wanting something like this for macro?:

James
Yes he mentioned ring- guessing he just wants simple, so thinking getting a ttl only is ok. rings Look so much more compact and less drag but never saw anyone with them before and not sure if used a lot

I actually use video lights for my macro photos and video. I have my own DIY tray with two Big Blue VL 4200P video lights.
Strobes only flash so cannot be used as video lights.

View attachment 695639

View attachment 695640

View attachment 695641
Nice! Hes been using his lights for macro on the old tg4 but with his new 6, I think he wants to try a strobe for stills and shallower dives while we are in the keys this winter. Do your lights have a strobe function or do you not use them at all?

Attachments

• F9536D0C-2EE0-4B4F-82C5-1A95AF7CF73F.jpeg
    F9536D0C-2EE0-4B4F-82C5-1A95AF7CF73F.jpeg
    53 KB · Views: 75
  • 45F18CDB-AE3C-4221-BDB1-D50D7FAECCEB.jpeg
    45F18CDB-AE3C-4221-BDB1-D50D7FAECCEB.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 79
Nice! Hes been using his lights for macro on the old tg4 but with his new 6, I think he wants to try a strobe for stills and shallower dives while we are in the keys this winter. Do your lights have a strobe function or do you not use them at all?
I don't use strobes my lights are video only.. I found that you can get great quality with the TG6 but takes time to master. I went from Hero4 to TG6 so your husband won't have so much to learn. going from TG4 to TG6. Also I was using too much light when I first started with the TG6 had to learn to use less power and to also use the exposure contrast dial on the camera. Take a few shots with different settings. Some people use one video light and one strobe.

MANTIS CLOSE UP.jpg

I don't use strobes my lights are video only.. I found that you can get great quality with the TG6 but takes time to master. I went from Hero4 to TG6 so your husband won't have so much to learn. going from TG4 to TG6. Also I was using too much light when I first started with the TG6 had to learn to use less power and to also use the exposure contrast dial on the camera. Take a few shots with different settings. Some people use one video light and one strobe.

View attachment 695673
Amazing shot! Thanks for the clarification. I realize you already answered my question in your initial reply but I read your reply (and others) too quickly….didn’t want my husband to see me research this or I ruin his Xmas present surprise!

Those are good pictures. Looking back through the previous posts I'll add my .2 cents worth. Running 2 strobes and 2 video lights would be very heavy and cumbersome. I will run a video light on one side and a strobe on the other if I think I will need both. You can still get great macro photos with a single strobe, strobe placement just becomes more critical. The video light can also act as a focus light, if needed. Looking at the pictures you provided, it appears that your husband is past the beginner stage so, and this is just my opinion, a TTL only strobe will be outgrown very quickly. I would recommend you start him off with a strobe that has both TTL and manual control, like the Inon S-2000 or the Sea & Sea YS-01. He can start with TTL as he experiments with manual. It will save you money in the long run.

Regarding the ring light, I stand by my previous thoughts and still think it will be less useful than a strobe. The ring light is great for things in the open, that are stationary or slow moving, and that don't have eyes. Things like nudibranch, anemones, maybe Christmas Tree worms; but you have to get close with it and shining that bright light on something with eyes will cause it to retreat. Also, it adds bulk to the front of the housing and can be limiting in tight areas where macro stuff likes to be. If you decided you want to go the ring light route, the Weefine 3000 that Nemrod suggested in the way to go. It is bright and has a limited strobe function. It will cost you as much as a strobe and you will still need an optical cable for the strobe function. It's the one I use and I really like it but I have to realize it's limitations when I use it.

Those are good pictures. Looking back through the previous posts I'll add my .2 cents worth. Running 2 strobes and 2 video lights would be very heavy and cumbersome. I will run a video light on one side and a strobe on the other if I think I will need both. You can still get great macro photos with a single strobe, strobe placement just becomes more critical. The video light can also act as a focus light, if needed. Looking at the pictures you provided, it appears that your husband is past the beginner stage so, and this is just my opinion, a TTL only strobe will be outgrown very quickly. I would recommend you start him off with a strobe that has both TTL and manual control, like the Inon S-2000 or the Sea & Sea YS-01. He can start with TTL as he experiments with manual. It will save you money in the long run.

Regarding the ring light, I stand by my previous thoughts and still think it will be less useful than a strobe. The ring light is great for things in the open, that are stationary or slow moving, and that don't have eyes. Things like nudibranch, anemones, maybe Christmas Tree worms; but you have to get close with it and shining that bright light on something with eyes will cause it to retreat. Also, it adds bulk to the front of the housing and can be limiting in tight areas where macro stuff likes to be. If you decided you want to go the ring light route, the Weefine 3000 that Nemrod suggested in the way to go. It is bright and has a limited strobe function. It will cost you as much as a strobe and you will still need an optical cable for the strobe function. It's the one I use and I really like it but I have to realize it's limitations when I use it.
Thank you all! I feel like I now need to get into photography with all my free lessons from you guys! I see that there is an open box inon D200 for less than the s2000 or the YS01. Reviews said it’s worth the extra cost for the snoot options and diffuser so I may just go with it. Merry Christmas!

Thank you all! I feel like I now need to get into photography with all my free lessons from you guys! I see that there is an open box inon D200 for less than the s2000 or the YS01. Reviews said it’s worth the extra cost for the snoot options and diffuser so I may just go with it. Merry Christmas!
Excellent choice! Merry Christmas to you also.

Amazing shot! Thanks for the clarification. I realize you already answered my question in your initial reply but I read your reply (and others) too quickly….didn’t want my husband to see me research this or I ruin his Xmas present surprise!

You will find a lot of stunning photos taken by people using video lights or strobes. Mainly you need patience and good timing. Rushing in to take a snapshot won't get you good photos. Clowns always dart in and out so I focus on the sea anemones first then wait for the clown fish to appear. I make take several shots over a couple of minutes. A little over exposed with the lights but happy with the photo nevertheless. I take for my vacation memories and also my wife has a guest house and some photos we print out and hang on the walls. Guest house clients very few are divers so they enjoy looking at the photos.

I may get a strobe myself one day. Nice xmas present for your husband.

CLOWNS.jpg

Hi;

We have lots of lighting packages with strobes or lights that work well with the Oly TG-6.
https://www.opticaloceansales.com/kraken/
Kraken lights can also be used in "burst" mode emulating a strobe with a brief, higher output. But strobes like the Sea & Sea YS-03, Inon S-2000, or the Sea & Sea YS-D3 are well matched for the TG-6.

It really depends on what types of shots you want to do, or do mostly. If you want to mostly do video and a few stills then one of the Kraken 4000 or 6000 lights can work very well with the abilities of the TG-6. If you mostly want to do stills, then there's no substitute for a strobe, as you'll freeze the subject and get much better color saturation with it's extremely bright and short burst of light. A Kraken 3000 ringlight works extremely well for macro, the TG-6's strong point.

You will probably need a tray and arm for it, our packages have several complete options.

One question you should ask is whether you think you might grow into to a more advanced system. In that case, then buying a larger strobe and arms might serve you better.

Check out our free Article Center and Handbooks for more info as well.

Thanks,
Jack

I have the Inon Z-330 Type II strobe for my TG 6 and really like it. I picked up a cheap tray and arms and it works really well. I plan on adding a video light down the road. I find that the aiming light, which can be locked on, lasted over 1 1/2 hour dive with a 150 ish pictures taken. When I find something I want to take a picture of I can take a lot of them, so I need a long lasting battery (4 rechargeable AA enloops) and a fairly quick recycle rate. I'm still learning the setup but so far so good.

Attachments

• Longsnout Seahorse Yellow (5).jpeg
    Longsnout Seahorse Yellow (5).jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 72

Back
Top Bottom