TG-5 won't turn on

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TTPaws

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I dive with the TG-5 in the PT-058 housing and make sure that everything is dry before removing the camera from the housing.

On the last dive I got an error with the memory card. I had taken some pictures topside with no problem. But once I go in the water I got the error. I figured that maybe the jump in jogged the card. The card was fine in the computer. Last night in prep for a dive today, I charged it using the USB plug. The little charging icon came up. The this morning nothing. I have 2 other batteries that I charged (charger says they are full) and have tried all 3. I have made sure that they are facing the correct way. Not even the orange light came on. I've taken the battery out and will let it sit for a while to let the capacitor bleed off and will try it when I get home Friday. But any ideas would be appreciated.

I have a Sony a7R. I have the original Sony battery and a few off-brand, since they were cheaper and offered more capacity. At some point, the shutter started getting stuck. I almost got to the point of buying a new shutter mechanism and installing it on my own because professional repair would have been $300-$400. Before I went down that route, I randomly tried, on a whim, to compare the two types of batteries I had. The Sony battery worked fine with the shutter, consistently. The off-brand, which used to work better than the Sony, now caused the shutter problem, consistently. This really surprised me, since how could a battery cause the shutter to stick? I bought some brand new off-brand batteries and they worked fine. So, my guess is that the off-brand batteries degrade faster than Sony's. The voltage tolerance to drive the shutter must be pretty sensitive.

Conclusion: Maybe you need new batteries. All lithium batteries start to degrade as soon as they're made, whether put in use or not. They'll degrade on the shelf. My off-brand ones were four years old, so I got a good run out of them, for batteries costing 1/4 of Sony's.

Conclusion: Maybe you need new batteries. All lithium batteries start to degrade as soon as they're made, whether put in use or not. They'll degrade on the shelf. My off-brand ones were four years old, so I got a good run out of them, for batteries costing 1/4 of Sony's.

All three batteries are Olympus LI-92B, however I went ahead and bought qa TG-6, so this weekend I'll try that battery to see if that is the problem. It is interesting that when I take one out of the charger (green lights) and put it in and hook up the USB cable I don't get the orange dot by the off/on button.

From my experience, Olympus is doing repairs promptly. Get a quote and they'll fix it. I paid $150 for cracked LCD replacement and got my TG-4 back in 10 days.

Thought I'd update everyone. I sent it in to Olympus repairs, the website said it would be $170 and another $20 to ship it to the USVI (my home). Well they never told me what was wrong, but swapped it out and sent it back to me, what I assumed was a refurb unit (which is fine by me) and never charged me the extra $20. All in all I think was 3 weeks to send it to New Jersey and back. I am really happy with their service and now I have a spare for visitors.

Thought I'd update everyone. I sent it in to Olympus repairs, the website said it would be $170 and another $20 to ship it to the USVI (my home). Well they never told me what was wrong, but swapped it out and sent it back to me, what I assumed was a refurb unit (which is fine by me) and never charged me the extra $20. All in all I think was 3 weeks to send it to New Jersey and back. I am really happy with their service and now I have a spare for visitors.
Glad it worked for you. Mine was done faster than yours but this was in the pre-Covid times :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom