TG-5/PT-058/UFL-3 firing strange issues.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackdog017

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, I have a rather strange problem with the above setup.

It was all working fine until I added an AOI Air lense (same as the Blackscatter M52 Air) to the PT-058 housing.

This lens requires that the flash diffuser of the housing be replaced by a black fiber optics adapter to which the fiber optics connector attaches directly, as there is not enough space between the housing and the lense for the normal setup. This adapter mountes the cable on its top edge and has an integrated little mirror at 45 degrees.

With this setup, on the surface, the strobe fires without any issue. Not a single problem.

But in the water, as soon as it's no longer shallow (below ~10m), I consistently get RC fire errors.

After my last trip I arrived to the conclusion that the culprit must be the absense of the diffuser somehow. As the mirror in the plastic adaptor is not really aligned with the camera flash inside the housing. I have now added a DIY diffuser inside the housing, covering the whole window, but have not been able to test it yet (in three weeks I will).

I was wondering if anyone else has had the problem or if anyone has any other ideas (that I still might have time to implement)...

Thanks for reading.

This is the adaptor:
hqT4qU2.jpg

zjVAJ0g.jpg

wf7rR7u.jpg

Back
Top Bottom