TG-4 Flash Compensation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khsjsilver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just started diving with the TG-4 and the PT-056 housing without any strobes. One of the adjustments in the camera is Flash Compensation. You can adjust the flash output during underwater shooting. You can set a larger negative value (up to -2.0) to adjust darker, or a larger positive (up to +2.0) to adjust brighter.

Is there any reason why you would always keep the camera set at the brightest adjustment of +2.0? Since I am shooting without a strobe, wouldn't you always want the flash to be as bright as it can be?

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Ken

If i am correct the flash compensation is used without the housing.
At least that is how I use it with mine.
Exp compensation is used to darken/lighten pix

Interesting question. Think flash "power" versus picture exposure. Picture exposure will take the ambient far-distance light into consideration.Flash power is all about close uplighting.

I found this blog that almost hints at this...
By insect photographer Kazuo UnnoTG-4 + FD-1 Review

Interesting article with amazing pictures!

The reason people use strobes for underwater is to add additional "flash power". I guess I'm still thinking that upping the Flash Compensation to it's max is a good thing to add as much flash power from the camera as possible, regardless of whether it's meant for the camera without the housing,

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom