Texas Gulf Coast Treasure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dktexas54

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Who's hunting treasure along our coast? I have heard that down around Port Mansfield there are Spanish Gold Wrecks. Has anyone tried to locate? From what I have read, there were three ships which ran aground back in the 1500's and all treasure ships but one was salvaged. After hundreds of years, and many hurricanes, it must be buried under many feet of sand or under padre island dunes somewhere. I found my first Spanish (or Pirate treasure)-a clay rum bottle- while diving in nombre de dios harbor this past May. I got the bug. Are there any groups or Clubs in Texas who hunt treasure? I would like to learn. Any comments are welcomed in this thread about treasure hunting in Texas. On shore (lakes etc), coastal or offshore. Lets have some fun!:eyebrow:

Good hunting!

dktexas54

I have been one time down to Port Mansfield looking around.

From what I hear from alot of people, there were ships run aground and when they cut the ship channel with the big boats it scattered the remains of the gold all along the cut.

I have not found anything, but then again I am not very good at finding stuff hah.

I am sure there are still some down there, would be neat to find some.

sounds like items may be in the spoils along the channel say from shore to out say 2-600 yards. wonder if you can dive there. what the current and vis is like. since panama i have this fever but know nothing of the rules of treasure hunting etc. wonder if any clubs locally we could learn from. give me a pm sometime if you want to dive locally. i go to blue lagoon, 288.

I have metal detector, might be worth researching conditions, etc.

This is what I have heard about it..The Port Mansfield Cut lies within the National Seashore Boundaries and it is illegal to use a metal detector within the park boundary. Also, any treasure found there belongs to the State of Texas, however, the Park Rangers don't patrol that far down all the time so....use your own discretion.
There was a shipwreck discovered there on the beach, in the sand however it was recovered to keep people from pillaging it. A friend of mine, in the 1990's used to find silver coins that had surfaced on the beach, after a hurricane, approximately 3 miles north of the Port Mansfield Jetties. I have not been down there in many years. You can find out more information about
Texas treasure ships and their general locations on the internet.

Back
Top Bottom