Texas, Georgia, South Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cgidyk

Registered
Reaction score
My wife, 3 year old daughter, and myself are looking to trave to one of these three states. I was hoping to have a discussion with people from these states to assist us in choosing a final destination. If you are willing to share some travel information about any of these three states. I would be greatfull.

I hope you find time to help.

Chris

What exactly are you looking for? Travel information is a little vague.

Are you looking for best routes? Attractions? Dive sites? Other?

I have lived in all three. What are you looking for or to do? How long do you want to spend..... That kind of stuff will help.

Also, Texas is very large geographically and would be somewhat difficult to visit a variety of areas within the state due to distance.

Even though it is a tourist trap - the Myrtle Beach area of South Carolina has great beaches and lots of activities the 3 year old would enjoy and you could waste your money on!

The Myrtle Beach area diving is so-so (personal opinion)

We are just heading somewhere after Boxing Day and traveling home on the 2nd of January. Our little girl likes Zoo's, Marine Parks, Family activities. My wife will be in her second trimester, so diving is out for her. Basically we want a family vacation with limited travel once we hit a destination.

I agree with the above that Texas is a very big place and it would be hard to see all the tourist stuff here. For example, we are in the Houston area. It is 4 hours to San Antonio, 5-5.5 to Dallas/Ft. Worth, and about 4-5 to Austin. I believe when we went to Padre a few years ago that was also around 5-6 hours (driving of course, not by air).

Since your daughter is so young, I doubt she would really appreciate your trip to stand in front of and the 10 minute walk through of the Alamo in San Antonio (although you might enjoy it). However, the Riverwalk is very nice there and you can get a hotel overlooking it. There is a Sea World San Antonio.

(We are not from Texas originally)

I don't know much about SC, but Georgia has nice areas to visit. Someone in another post mentioned a beautiful aquarium which I have wanted to visit.

How long is your stay?

I live near San Antonio and can enthusiastically endorse the range of activities in and around the city. Since you are coming after Christmas in December, most of the water related activities that are so great in the summer will be closed, but the River Walk, Sea World, La Villita, the Mercado, the Zoo, botanical garden, Sunken Garden, Natural Bridge Cavern, and Fiesta Texas are fun and easily accessible by car from anywhere in the city. Your wife, being in her third trimester will be a lot more comfortable walking around San Antonio in December than in the summer, but summer is better for kids because you can enjoy the water activities at the Schlitterbahn, Sea World, and Fiesta Texas. Overall, it is a wonderful place to vacation. Don't know very many people that have visited San Antonio that did not have a wonderful time.

I live in Savannah, GA which is just 15 mins south of the S. Carolina border and 2 hrs north of the Florida border. Depending on what you want to visit, Savannah is known for it's beauty and history as is Charleston SC. So depending on what you want to do or see, there is alot we can offer. I recommend seeing this part of the country in the fall or early spring. The weather is most comfortable and seeing the south in bloom in April is breathtaking.

Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta is very cool. You can dive it too. Might be something to consider. :)

Carolyn:shark2:

Last edited:
Savannah and Charleston are both lovely southern cities, popular with a wide range of tourists. Charleston has an aquarium, and at "Patriots Point" there are a variety of boats that you can walk through. They are close enough to drive to either city as a day trip from the other.

You are planning to come at a time when the weather is not at its best. Although snow is uncommon, cold, windy, and wet are typical.

There is a zoo in Columbia, SC that is very nice. However, Columbia is about 2 hours from Savannah, and a bit less from Charleston.

Myrtle Beach SC has a number of tourist attractions (shows, amusements, etc.) and a large number of golf courses. The time you are coming is slow at Myrtle Beach, so you may find a good deal on a hotel. Ripley's Aquarium is at Myrtle Beach. The Columbia Zoo is about 3 hours away from Myrtle Beach - probably too long for a day trip with such a small child.

Texas is huge - and has a lot to offer as well. Perhaps some of the Texas folks can provide more details.

Back
Top Bottom