Texas Clipper Reefing Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just out of curiosity...
I looked at the sinking of the Texas Clipper video recently...

YouTube - The Reefing of The Texas Clipper

...and wondered if that was the Spree in the foreground. How about it DiveWookie? Was that ya'll?

99% sure it was Capt. Frank and crew! Neat video shots.

Yup, and I was crapping my pants at the time. Don't let mythbusters lull y'all into thinking that a sinking ship won't suck another vessel down with it. The problem is that the massive bubbles coming up from the Clipper don't provide any bouyancy for the Spree. The rep from TPWD said to get closer, and so I did. As the clipper sunk, I had all three in go backward real fast, and we still moved toward the clipper. When she finally stopped spewing air, we were able to back away. I have learned a lesson I won't have to repeat. We had permission from the Coast Guard to be as close as we wanted to be, but sometimes the Coast Guard knows best.

Frank

Researchers at UT-Brownsville are assessing the economic impact of the Texas Clipper on the local area. We are looking for divers who have been out to the Clipper and are willing to fill out a survey (on-line or mail) or would be willing to talk about their experience while in the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom