Texas Celebrates 168th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
The Texas Declaration of Independence
March 2, 1836

The Texas Declaration of Independence was produced, literally, overnight. Its urgency was paramount, because while it was being prepared, the Alamo in San Antonio was under seige by Santa Anna's army of Mexico.
Immediately upon the assemblage of the Convention of 1836 on March 1, a committee of five of its delegates were appointed to draft the document. The committee, consisting of George C. Childress, Edward Conrad, James Gaines, Bailey Hardeman, and Collin McKinney, prepared the declaration in record time. It was briefly reviewed, then adopted by the delegates of the convention the following day.

As seen from the transcription below, the document parallels somewhat that of the United States, signed almost sixty years earlier. It contains statements on the function and responsibility of government, followed by a list of grievances. Finally, it concludes by declaring Texas a free and independent republic.

The full text of the document is available here: http://www.lsjunction.com/docs/tdoi.htm

Remember Goliad! Remember The Alamo!
Way to go at San Jacinto, Sam Houston!

http://www.neosoft.com/~sgriffin/houstonhistory/legacy/history6b.htm

Don, 6th Generation

In this new version of The Alamo coming out next month, do we finally win??

:wink:

ScubaTexan:

And you're going to have to keep watching until you remember it! LOL!

coberry7:
Way to go Sam Houston.

from a Texan living in his home state of Georgia..

Uh, the second link in the #1 Post above says he was the former U.S. Congressman from and former Governor of Tennessee...?

Don,

Thanks for the link. It is good to refresh one's mind and realize the sacrifices that have been made for us.

5th generation Texan and very proud of it.

dnhill

ScubaTexan:

LOL Ken!

Happy Birthday Texas.. same day as my son's Birthday.

:hb2:

Yes, he was those, from what you say. Doesn't mean he wasn't from GA. I'm not a historian.

Sam Houston was born March 2, 1793, in Virginia. As a graduate of Sam Houston High School here in Arlington, I should know.

I refuse to get into a ****ing contest about the biography of Sam Houston. Check out his record with the Cherokee.

Either way, he was a good brave man. IMO.

Colin Berry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom