Testing the Sealife Fisheye Wide Angle Lens (SL975)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dom Perignon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just went to a LDS to test Sealife's new Fisheye Wide Angle Lens (SL975).

I wanted to see how it compared to the Wide Angle 0,5X lens (SL970).

I used my DC1400, and took 4 pictures. I aligned all of them with the red thing on the right.

1-Picture without any lenses
1-PICT0011_no_lens.JPG

2-Picture with Wide Angle 0,5X lens (not zoomed in, to see vignetting)
2-PICT0007_old_0_5x.JPG

3-Picture with Wide Angle 0,5X lens (zoomed in just enough to get rid of most vignetting)
3-PICT0010_old_0_5x_zoomed.JPG

4-Picture with Fisheye Wide Angle lens
4-PICT0005_new_fisheye_0_6X.JPG

From the last picture it's pretty clear that there is a greater field of view but also some barrel distortion, typical of fisheye lenses.

The pictures are pretty grainy, not sure why (just got the camera as a replacement for a defective DC1200, so I haven't figured out all the settings).

I'm curious to know how people like out when used underwater.

I am not sure if I had the proper settings, macro, zoom etc but here are two pics uw, shot at one after each other

Without ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361243942.241028.jpg

Right after with the wide angle ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361243968.945782.jpg

Here is another
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361244014.080584.jpg

Sent from my IPad using Tapatalk

thnx for sharing

Off topic, but since I added my fish eye lens and the mount to my sealife dc 1400 setup, (camera and strobe) , i cannot now use the small buoyancy weight? Anyone have a workaround or should I just zip tie it off to another part of my tray?

Ok, so that is the one I have and then there is the 975 I don't have. And the question I still have is: What is the difference 970 and the 975? Is there a reason to upgrade from the 970?

Use the small words for a non-camera geek.....

970-increases field of view by 50%
975-increases field of view by80%

It is wider! I have a 1400 so I had to wait for the 975 as the 970 is not compatible or you get the vignetting which is the black area around the outside of the photos.

Back
Top Bottom