Testing housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

Yes there is. You can take it into a swimming pool, with out the camera, for a shake down. If your still not comfortable with that then take it on a real dive, again with out the camera. One thing I would highly recomend is some type of flood insurance. The saying goes its not a question of if it will flood but when it will flood. Often times I see things like that happen when ppl rush durring prep and make mistakes durring setup.

Ed

Over the last three years I have had two housings leak on me. One I could understand- there was a hair that must have fallen off my head AFTER I inspected the o-rings and before I installed the back plate. The other had no detectable reason for failure. Both times the amount of water in the housing was about a teaspoon, enough to wipe out the PCB inside but not enough to damage the camcorder.

Given that I am currently averaging over 300 dives a year, I think the statistics are good.

As for the question, I usually test the housing only after it comes back from the factory for a repair (replacing a port or PCB). I take it on a "normal" dive to a depth of at least 60 ft without the camcorder inside. I then check to see if any water entered it. I would also check it if I were to drop or seriously jar it, which I haven't done yet.

Dr. Bill

When I test a housing I loosely pack it with paper towells. If it leaks you can get a general idea as to where the water is entering.
I agree with drbill. My buddies housing leaked. The moisture alarm went off and we got it to the surface pretty quick. There was only a teaspoon full of water in it. No damage to the camera. The $75 moisture alarm was worth the price. Her housing failed the first time it was in water over 6 ft deep. She had played with it in the pool with no problems. It appeared to me the leak was at the flash connector. Aquatica fixed it.
From now on I'll take new or newly serviced housings deep before I put a camera in them. Take your time loading the housing and be extra carefull with the seals and you'll have no trouble. Insurance is great just in case!

Joe

On transparent housings the fastest and most reliable leak detection device is the old fashioned unsweetened Grape Kool-Aid.

Dust the inside of the seals with the dry powder. The powder is white/grey when dry. then take it to a medium depth while closely watching the housing.

The slightest moisture will instantly change it to a bright purple, which will persist even if the water dries. By spotting the first place the purple appears the leak is pinpointed. I've used this method to find problem leaks down into the drops per year rates.

Once the test is complete it rinses clean with warm water. Protect electrical penetration connectors during the rinse operation.

FT

joe, thanks for the papertowel trick. that's a new trick that will definitely serve me well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom