Test your cutting devices especially EMT shears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used a bfk on a charter with a fouled prop and, yes, the dainty devices would have been useless, but the BFK was supplied by the charter and I got a free trip for my effort. Thanks Dennis @ Silent World.

If you are wrapped up in almost invisible mono-filament are you REALLY happy to see a stranger coming at you with a BFK?

I use a Spyderco Pacific Salt 2 folding knife and a Spyderco Autonomy; both with blades made from H-1 and they require no special sharpener other than what you would use on a similar knife made from other steel. It does require more sharpening than a harder steel but it takes a fairy keen edge. I work in and around the ocean using the Autonomy while diving and the Pacific Salt on the surface. They definitely do not rust, but I do rinse them regularly in fresh water.

View attachment 579926
Those are nice knives but you can get much better value with alternatives like green river.

Everyone has their favorites. For fixed blades I will stick with my UDT knife the Scubapro that has served well for many years or my custom made Shane Sibert knife shown in the second picture that I posted. I also dive a Randall model 16 sometimes. Getting value when purchasing a tool is rarely at the top of my list of requirements.

How often are all of you actually using your cutting devices to get them dull?I
Surely they don't get dull if not being used?
I have a titanium knife that I have for many years and it's still as sharp as when I got it. However, it doesn't get any use. It just accompany me on my dives.
Have a stainless steel shear as well. I've never needed to use it under water either, though I have cut a couple of straps and bungee with it. It's very effective. I spray it down with wd-40 after most dive. It retains a coating that seems to last a few dives.
Have a ceramic line cutter for backup.

Thanks for the heads up. I clean my shears after a dive trip but I don't think I've ever bothered to test cutting stuff with them (except when I first got 'em).

I work as a diver and work on two surface boats and a Submarine. About once or twice a month one or the other of them has either fishing line, a net or other debris wrapped up in the props. I get to clear them and then there are other miscellaneous tasks. Every day I use my Spyderco folder for something. I sharpen knives maybe once a month or so.

This ground down Betty Crocker steak knife has never been rinsed or sharpened, has made over a 1,000 dives in both fresh and salt water in the last 12 years, gets used multiple times a year to cut old mooring lines off wrecks, only cost a couple dollars, and still cuts those 1 inch mooring lines in just a few passes.

20200413_132033.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom