Terraserver-USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timeliner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here is a easy to use and very cool website I use a lot to find backroads to all sorts of lakes, rivers and other places all across the country. It's a Satellite image / Topographic map site. The images are pretty good and will show roads, lake coves, ect. that never will be on a map. Its like flying over the area at 1000ft up and taking a picture. I actually could see my car parked where I work in one of the pictures when I zoomed in. It's free too ! :crafty:

Maybe it'll help you find that new cool dive spot !

http://www.terraserver-usa.org

That is sweet!!!

I guess I'm topographic map challenged (amongst other challenges)... I'm having a hard time getting to the area that I want to see. Any hints?

Foo:
I guess I'm topographic map challenged (amongst other challenges)... I'm having a hard time getting to the area that I want to see. Any hints?

Foo... 'What ya lookin' fer girl? Maybe them sorts a things ain't been picked up by the Satellites yet :wink:

Start by looking for something near you. Such as down town Gilmer,Tx. I think you've been there. If you can find that then you can find just about anything. ( kinda like Paris)

You just have to click on the green map close to where you think your wanting to look.
Then click again .. and again as often as it takes to get you where you want to look at.
There is a + - bar on the left side usually that can zoom in or zoom out. The Topograpic map part is good because it will display the names of towns and rivers and lakes and such just like a regular map. You can toogle back and forth between Topo and Aerial photos when you want to see the satellite image.

Yes ... like the guy from "somewhere in Iowa" said, it's not all up to date ( late 90's ) but then again I've been to Iowa and the corn fields look the same today as they have forever so whats the diff? Sorta like a lot of the country side. If you looking at a city then yes things do change.

I've found the way into some good places using the images though. :crafty:

Timeliner:
Foo... 'What ya lookin' fer girl?

You just have to click on the green map close to where you think your wanting to look.

Well, I was actually just looking for my town, and I did manage to get around 25 miles away, but the problem is all that toggling. lol. At least I now know that I at least attempted to do it correctly. I guess I'm not a gifted toggler, however, and will skulk back through the portal of toggling mediocrity.

Thanks for the explanation!
Foo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom