Teric Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Macan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Over the weekend, I put the Teric through 5 dives. Below are my initial impressions:

1- Build quality: Outstanding. The craftsmanship is exceptional, the push buttons are solid with good feedback. The all black look is classy, I just hope the paint doesn’t chip off easily in rough conditions. The OEM strap looks great, it’s soft, secure and has a very nice feel even on bare skin.

2- User Interface: Very good and well thought out. You just have to initially orient yourself on where the functions are on the menu and you're good to go. The user customizable home screen is outstanding. You can set the home screen the way you want. Many of the past user feedback on the Perdix and Petrel were incorporated into the Teric. Shearwater listens to the users :).

3- The new floating compass is amazing. No need to pull up the full compass and cover up other data. Set the Marker and you're good to go. Since the compass red magnetic N arrow and green marker dot floats around the circumference of the bezel, orientation and situational awareness is easy. I’m a heavy compass user and never parted with my mechanical compass even with the good Petrel compass. The Teric’s compass is making me change my old ways. I also like that you don't have to calibrate the compass each time you change location. Compass reading is accurate and fast, faster than a mechanical compass that needs to be held level with the compass card floating freely.

4- The new Deco Clear function is incredibly helpful. In Tec mode on an NDL dive, when you hit 6 meters it “Deco Clears” you and counts up. Previously on my Petrel 2 in Tec mode, I have to turn on the timer to track time spent on the last stop. Now, with the Deco Clear function, it automatically counts up when you ascend to 6 meters. Pauses if you drop down and resumes when you're back at 6 meters or shallower. If you pad your last deco stop for added conservatism or if you simply want to know how long you’ve been in your last stop after you’re cleared on Tec mode, you will love this feature.

5- Surface GF. Rec or Tec, this is a terrific safety feature as it will quantify your risk level relative to the Buhlmann M-Value. It gives you your surfacing GF as a % of the Buhlmann M-Value if you were to immediately surface. GF99 does not do that. Example, after completing the last Deco stop at 6 meters, GF99 may read 4% but SurfGF will read 65%. GFHi is = SurfGF. If you pad your last stop, SurfGF will drop to a lower level as you extend your stop.

6- The AMOLED is amazing. The Petrel's color display is impressive enough but the Teric blows it away with the AMOLED display.

7- AI connection and readout is good, stable and fast. Too bad there’s no RMV but I agree with SW that this will complicate the setup and could potentially lead to serious user error. But RMV calc should be available on the SW Cloud but it’s not.

8- Battery. Fast quick charge. Fully charged at 12am. Removed from charger. 2 dives in the morning. 1 dive in the afternoon. Each dive around 45 - 50 minutes. Used it as a watch outside the water with Light Setting set to OFF and button press to check time or SIT. Also downloaded dives to iPhone via BT. At 10pm (22 hours after a full charge), battery was at 66%. It looks like I could extend it to another day of diving but I'm not sure. I recharged it. I'm not sure if the discharge rate is linear or exponential as the voltage drops.

Issues:

A) The downloaded data from the Teric to Shearwater Cloud is incorrect or SW Cloud is not processing the transferred data correctly. Example, the Dive start time on the Teric is 12:26pm and the Sac T1 is 1.47 bar/min. The Downloaded data on Shearwater Cloud shows Dive Time start at 8:26pm. Sac T1 at 1.27 bar/min. I haven't verified the other data but it seems that there is a data issue on the Shearwater Cloud.

B) Sharing of dive data across devices is not working. When trying to log in to Shearwater Cloud, it will say password incorrect. Activated the forget password function. Receive email for PW change. Change PW. The login screen will still not accept the changed password. Tried several times. Is this a SW Cloud issue?

C) SW Cloud gives a nice display of your dive profile and pressing on the profile timeline will bring up a pop-up of the dive detail for that time period. Neat. The problem is you can't read it. The font size is too small and cannot be zoomed. This is on an iPhone 7. The Dive Log app seems to have better GUI and UI compared to SW Cloud.

The issues seems SW Cloud related. Overall my initial impression of the Teric is excellent. It’s expensive but if you simply want the best, it’s the Teric. Highly recommended. SW Cloud however needs a lot of work to make it a fitting partner of the Teric.

Thanks for the write up. Mrs Flush is beside herself waiting for hers to come in so she can give it a go.

I have been asking for the Surface GF function since the Petrel. Glad to hear Shearwater finally added it. Hopefully, it will be a software update for the perdix and petrel.

I am doing research on a new dive computer. I love the look of the AMOLED screens, however, I have heard that the AMOLED screens get "washed" out and unreadable in direct sunlight. How does the Shearwater computer screens perform in direct sunlight? Are they readable, or do they also get "washed" out in the sunlight?

I am doing research on a new dive computer. I love the look of the AMOLED screens, however, I have heard that the AMOLED screens get "washed" out and unreadable in direct sunlight. How does the Shearwater computer screens perform in direct sunlight? Are they readable, or do they also get "washed" out in the sunlight?

I use both Teric and a Petrel 2. Perhaps it's just me but I find it so much easier to read the Teric in direct sunlight. Additionally, with a simple press, I can toggle the Teric light from High Med Low Dim and Off (to preserve battery). Hope this helps.

I have been asking for the Surface GF function since the Petrel. Glad to hear Shearwater finally added it. Hopefully, it will be a software update for the perdix and petrel.

Yes, the Surface GF function is a true winner.

GFHigh = SurfGF. With GF99, you don't really know what your surfacing GF will be. The GF99 value only shows the current super-saturation as a percentage of buhlmann original limits. Even at your last stop, GF99 will display a low number and when you surface GF99 will surprise you with a high number (ie your surfacing GF). The nice thing about using SurfGF is throughout the dive, you know quantitatively what your surfacing GF will be if for some reason you have to immediately surface. While at the bottom during the working portion of the dive, GF99 will say "on gas" while SurfGF will give you a number. So for planning safety and conservatism, SurfGF is a better indicator than GF99.

Take a look at the picture in the post above. The Petrel is showing GF99 at 2%. But the Teric is showing SurfGF at 62%.

Yes, the Surface GF function is a true winner.

Shearwater is the true hardcore winner. I purchased my Perdix (without the AI) few weeks before that Teric was announced and I am really happy.
I really fall in love with this watch and that answer might be interesting:

I love the look of the AMOLED screens, however, I have heard that the AMOLED screens get "washed" out and unreadable in direct sunlight. How does the Shearwater computer screens perform in direct sunlight? Are they readable, or do they also get "washed" out in the sunlight?

If anyone can try out to give your Teric some sunbath and report about that screen under direct sunlight ^^ :)

C) SW Cloud gives a nice display of your dive profile and pressing on the profile timeline will bring up a pop-up of the dive detail for that time period. Neat. The problem is you can't read it. The font size is too small and cannot be zoomed. This is on an iPhone 7. The Dive Log app seems to have better GUI and UI compared to SW Cloud.

The issues seems SW Cloud related. Overall my initial impression of the Teric is excellent. It’s expensive but if you simply want the best, it’s the Teric. Highly recommended. SW Cloud however needs a lot of work to make it a fitting partner of the Teric.

I'm sure Shearwater is aware of it but the SW Cloud app is pretty bad. Yes it does function and gets you by but it really seems to be in beta still. Maybe most of the resource focus has gone into the successful launch of the Teric which is great but please give SW Cloud some love :) I'm very happy with my Perdix AI but I wish SW Cloud would catch up.

Love my new teric.
My criticism: The TTS field should be configurable. As a rec diver, I don't really need this.
It's pretty easy to figure in my head every 30' is about a minute plus 3 for a safety stop. So if I'm at 90', it's gonna be 6 minutes TTS.

Back
Top Bottom