Teric Compass Calibration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver-6873

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So, a recent a troublesome issue with my current Teric. We dive 4-5days per week, year round, and recently I am having to recalibrate my compass every 2-3 days. It basically freezes up, within a few degrees. No idea why or what is happening. Between this and continued battery drain issues (currently on 3rd watch in 3 years), I’m wondering if maybe the Teric, which I’ve loved since launch, can’t handle the frequency of use.

I have had to recalibrate my Teric's compass whenever I travel a far distance, or when I have allowed the battery to go all the way to 0%. If you need to recalibrate it every few days, it is probably malfunctioning, and you should open a support ticket with Shearwater.

Send it in if you’re having charging issues, my last one holds charge like a champ and since I’ve most often found the compass out of calibration after charging the two things may go hand in hand. I only charge mine when the fall below 30 %, charged it about 2 weeks ago and it’s still at 100%, crappy conditions and “family stuff” have deeply interfered with important things.

I have also found the Teric compass to be very sensitive to outside influences like steel tanks being close by or having my Apple Watch on under the drysuit sleeve.

I have also found the Teric compass to be very sensitive to outside influences like steel tanks being close by or having my Apple Watch on under the drysuit sleeve.

For sure. If I have it on the same wrist as my rebreather handset it is useless.

So, a recent a troublesome issue with my current Teric. We dive 4-5days per week, year round, and recently I am having to recalibrate my compass every 2-3 days. It basically freezes up, within a few degrees. No idea why or what is happening. Between this and continued battery drain issues (currently on 3rd watch in 3 years), I’m wondering if maybe the Teric, which I’ve loved since launch, can’t handle the frequency of use.
Hi there, just read your problem description regarding the Teric compass freezing up. Did you find a solution? I experience the same issue. Funnily enough I am on Bonaire right now, also where you seem to dive? Never had that problem before. Bermuda Triangle?

Sorry that I just saw your message. The only thing I can do is to recalibrate the compass. It seems I need to do this every couple of weeks. Even though Shearwater replaced it several times, it still happened intermittently. Fortunately our reefs here are easy to navigate but I still like to have the Teric compass as a companion.

Back
Top Bottom