tennis elbow brace and DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wvdm

New
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I am wearing an elbow pressure band on each arm for my tennis/tank elbows. The high-season is coming up and I will need to be wearing these braces during and after diving every day to carry all the tanks from the water in the boat and off the boat and in the truck.
Does wearing them put me at higher risk of DCS because of alteration to the bloodflow?

Considering that tennis elbow is an inflammation of the tendons around your elbow, I would think a little extra conservatism wouldn't be a bad thing. The pressure bands could also impair circulation in the skin/muscle under them, so my guess (and it's only that) is that you may have a small additional risk.

If it were me, I would only wear them above the surface. We don't really use our arms too much beneath the surface. Most experts believe they are palliative only, not a treatment that promotes healing. Have you considered getting a cart to help you transport your tanks?

....Does wearing them put me at higher risk of DCS because of alteration to the bloodflow?
Alot depends on if you are going into DECO on your dives. The highest bubble circulation always happens AFTER your dives not during your dives.

I do use my arms a lot underwater unfortunately because I will be teaching and have to control students. And after the dives I will have to get my own and my student's tanks out of the water, on the speedboat. Luckily my dives are never even close to the NDL and I believe my wetsuit and bikini-strings leave deeper imprints in my skin after a dive then my braces do, so I have decided to use them and see how it goes. thanks everyone for your imput.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom