Tenkiller Poker Run

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soonerwink

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Ok here is a chance to practice your navigation skills and win some prizes while doing it. The Tulsa Aquanauts are going to have a Poker Run at Tenkiller Lake, July 12. The way it works is we will have 5 divers in the water with a deck of playing cards. Each divier will be directly under a divers down flag. You will be given a heading, distance and depth to first station. When you and your buddy find station 1 you will be given 1 or 2 playing cards each. depending on whether you had to surface to re-establish your bearings. The diver at station 1 will have direction, distance and depth to next station. When you get to the last station you will be given directions back to exit point. When everyone is finished the diver with the best 5 card hand wins! There will be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. There will be a $5.00 entry fee per person for Aquanaut members and $10.00 per person for non members. Remember it is free to join. If you don't have a buddy you will be assigned one, there will be no solo divers. We will be contacting our local dive shops to see if we can post some flyers to let divers know about it. We are hoping they may even want to donate some prizes for drawings. I think we should make a day of it, cooking hotdogs, snacks, soft drinks, water, etc. I will try and come up with some extra compasses in case some one needs one. Maybe we can even get someone to give a short class on using one. You might also want to bring a slate to write headings and distance on if you are like me and sometimes have short term memory loss. I hope everyone can make it, we are going to have a blast! If you have to work this would be a good day to use a sick day. Even if you don't want to participate in the contest come on out, I'm sure we will be making several other dives.

Sorry, but downdeep has it right, it has been cancelled. We were not getting enough people to come because of the conditions at Tenkiller (vis). I am with Dennis I think it would have just made it funner, you only need about 2' vis to navigate with a buddy. There is some of us that are still going to Tenkiller next Sun. morning. We are going to dive the island by the Dam, I think it is called Goat Island.

Cancelled ?? Due to low visibility? I thought that was the point of navigation. Am I wrong?

Back
Top Bottom