Temperatures?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwhities

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What's the "average" temperature that that a vehicle can get on the inside before the tank blows the burst disk?

I was thinking as the Summer months gets here, I might plan a trip over the weekend. Say Thursday night, I decided to pack everything I need, including tanks. I got to work the next morning with the tanks in the back of the truck. Would it get so hot (say 95F) that it would cause the tanks to bust the burst disk or themselves?

Is there a suggestion or hint (besides don't put them in the vehicle in the blazing sun) that will help it to not doing anything? I'd just hate to come out and see a hole in my truck or get to the site to find out there is not air in the tanks.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Michael

EDIT: To help clarify, the tanks would be in a covered truck... a Mazda Tribute. (not a truck and the tanks are out IN the sun)

I have a post somewhere here with pictures of 11 tanks in the back of my pick-up that caught fire. It took quite a long time being exposed to direct flame before they started to blow the disks. Tanks inside a hot vehicle will not blow and I think there are more threads here regarding this.

I have had them in the back of my truck in the summer for a few days on a trip with no problems. The temps where in the mid 90's and they where AL80's filled to 3000psi at normal room temp.

Never had any trouble that caused a burst disk failure. Doubt you will. You plan to store the tanks out of direct sun should work well. One day, I had a tank that was filled to 3000 reach 3900 because of being left in direct sun on a very hot day. Did not blow the disk. Not sure what point the disk was supposed to fail, but it didn't.

You should be fine.

Diver Dennis:
I have a post somewhere here with pictures of 11 tanks in the back of my pick-up that caught fire. It took quite a long time being exposed to direct flame before they started to blow the disks. Tanks inside a hot vehicle will not blow and I think there are more threads here regarding this.

Hey Dennis how about the full story? :)

divenutny:
Not sure what point the disk was supposed to fail, but it didn't.
The burst disk is s'pose to fail right around the hydro pressure, so that would be 5/3 times the fill pressure or 5000 psi for an AL80. I think some other tanks are 3/2 times the fill pressure.

divenutny:
Never had any trouble that caused a burst disk failure. Doubt you will. You plan to store the tanks out of direct sun should work well. One day, I had a tank that was filled to 3000 reach 3900 because of being left in direct sun on a very hot day. Did not blow the disk. Not sure what point the disk was supposed to fail, but it didn't.

You should be fine.

If the tank started at 80 degF & 3000 psi, to get to 3900 psi it would have had to be 242 degF. Not likely.

do it easy:
The burst disk is s'pose to fail right around the hydro pressure, so that would be 5/3 times the fill pressure or 5000 psi for an AL80. I think some other tanks are 3/2 times the fill pressure.

Burst disks fail at their rated pressure (At P to 1.25P). There are ones for various pressures i.e 3000, 3300, 3500, 4000, 4500 etc. And the correct burst disk for a tank (according to DOT) should fail at -10% of the hydro pressure.

Back
Top Bottom