Tell us about your entanglement experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was leading the 1st of 2 night dives on "The Trench" in West Palm Beach a couple years ago. Viz was good with a mild to moderate current and we splashed around 7 PM. In addition to the reel & float ball, I had with me my snare & hotel in case I happened upon tomorrow's dinner. Wonderful dive, having fun when I see a good sized (dinner-for-one size) bug walking across the sand bottom.

When I kicked down to get him, I put myself in front of the line for the float ball in the current and allowed line to play out from the reel. Next thing I knew, the lobster had wrangled me. My buddy attempted to help but laughter prevented him from being effective. One thing I noticed was that I inadvertently ascended about 20 feet in the current during the disentanglement process. The combined entanglement with ascent made for a big mental "uh-oh" for a couple seconds.

And yes, after using his impressive jedi line tricks, dinner got away.

I got entangled by the line going to my dive flag once, the current shifted and the line went a little slack for a few moments, long enough get looped around my legs a bit. Wasn't bad, just inconvenient.....not nearly as bad as when I got tangled up with that girl from Texas.

-Dan

A beautiful girl with a gaping chasm of need.

Wow ... have you ever thought about writing cheesy soft core/romance novels? :wink:

The line to my dive flag was entangled on my weight belt. A surge pulled the strap and my weight belt released. I was lucky I caught it

It was during my second checkout dive that I got entangled. I was following my instructor and he got hung up on rope when it got between his gauges and his side. I reached down up untangle since I had seen it but before I could get there he had already freed himself. We started forward and I was stopped. I noticed a rope coming across from right to left that got caught on my valve. I stopped took hold of rope and backed up. After free couldnt see my instructor....viz was about 10ft. I looked for him. I noticed a dark shape coming thru water and then heading to the surface. I surfaced behind him. Told him what happened and then we descended and finished the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom