Tell me if I'm nuts.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was a fire equipment shop that hydros any and all compressed gas cylinders including scuba tanks.
I don't what he calipered it with or how he did it, I just took his word for it.

I thought of doing something fun with it like putting it up on a hill side (full) and popping it with a 30-06,
or taking a die grinder with a cuttoff wheel when it's empty and scoring a bunch of deep lines in it like an old pineapple grenade then putting it up on the hillside with a portable compressor and pumping it till she blows. Or maybe throwing it off Half Dome full and see if it lands on the valve, breaking it off and turning into a rocket.
Maybe I'll just take a plasma cutter and cut the bottom off (empty) and make a bell out of it.
Maybe a few of them cut off at different lengths would make a nice harmonic wind chime. That would be one way to piss off the neighbors!

Maybe I should contact the Mythbusters down in SF and see if they want it to bust a myth with it.
Say that four times fast.

God, I love it. It is pretty much that hard to kill an old soldier 72.

I figure a tank is the one thing that can fail in a catastrophic and fatal manner, so it's probably worth listening to your gut. I have that one WK tank that I've had 3-4 different people look at, and they all tell me it's fine so I keep it around, but I'm still not super stoked on it. There's one hydro place in Monterey I really like (took 4-5 tries to find one), if you want a tie-breaker opinion on it.

I saw your title and was hoping to say nuts.

Or taking a die grinder with a cuttoff wheel when it's empty and scoring a bunch of deep lines in it like an old pineapple grenade then putting it up on the hillside with a portable compressor and pumping it till she blows. Or maybe throwing it off Half Dome full and see if it lands on the valve, breaking it off and turning it into a rocket.

O.K. Now I can answer your query with a definite, "YES!"

You can use this as a learning experience if you have issues using the tank. Download the Luxfer tank inspection guide here

Luxfer's Guide To SCUBA Cylinder Inspection - Luxfer: Setting The Standard Worldwide

Cut the cylinder in half and inspect it according to the guide. Some of the tools listed are easily made. Most of the information in the guide applies to aluminum and steel cylinders. The limits on the depth of pits for aluminum cylinders may be less than in the case of steel cylinders but if it passes using the guide for aluminum you know it is good.
After doing this you may be either happy or sad at having cut the cylinder in half.

I wonder what the ATF boys would have to say about a civilian deliberately exploding a SCUBA tank?

I'm with Doubler, We have a "Gut Feeling" for a reason. I must admit that ignoring my "don't do it" gut feelings have made the best stories, its just a wonder I'm around to tell them.

Even if you don't have a problem with the tank, while worrying about that you may miss something else that will bite you on the a$$.

As for the original question, people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, so I won't.

Bob
---------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Never drink and post, that's what I found out when I re-read my post about what to do with it.
I'd like to stay out of jail.

I think instead I'll plasma cut a series of holes in it and start my octopuss condo in a certain cove I have in mind :)

Remember those water rockets we used to have as kids? Some people use 2 liter bottles for them now. That's what I'd like to do with an old tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom