Technical Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteveC

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been done to death, but I need some new feedback. I'm looking for a technical computer, one that’s capable of switching mixes for deco. I heard of the OMS Trimix computer, the OMS Nitrox computer, and the Abyss Explorer. Has anyone had any experience with the above computers or even one that I haven't heard of before.

I plan on doing some trimix (eventually) but I don't think I need a trimix computer. I really don't know since I know little (nothing) about trimix currently, but I would like to get into some deep diving, cave diving, and hopefully get to do some deep wrecks someday.

Any info would be appreciated.

DSAO

Steve

Hiya Steve

My best suggestion would be to go with the Suunto Vyper. It can handle 2 nitrox mixes and incorporates deep stops. For really deep stuff or trimix you can switch it to gauge mode.

I'm sure that the Abyss and the OMS are good machines, but they are horrendously expensive and as you get into more technical stuff you'll be writing your own decompression plans anyway, so why spend the extra money? Buy a Vyper or the OMS bottom timer, download a couple of dive planning programs, and learn about decompression.

Use the money you'll save to buy a really really good drysuit and undies. You'll need them!

I'm in OKC- wanna plan some dives sometime?

Dive safe
Brock

OMS computr is actually a VR3 by the looks of it.Abyss is real new ,think I'll let someone else discover the bugs.Dive-rite has a 3 gas computer 600 ft capable,no helium tho.I use various watches and old beuchat aladin pro's or scubapro digital.good luck and saving $ should never enter the mind of a person buying life support equipment until min. criteria are established.

Okiecaver...what Vyper are you diving with???

The Suunto Vyper we sell is strictly a recreational, nitrox compatible dive computer. Yes, you can set it for different nitrox mixes, but Suunto is using one of the most conservative logarhythms (which is not a bad thing, for recreational diving). But, it is not a computer you can program to switch gas mixes underwater. And it is definitately NOT one that can do trimix, or even plan deco dives on.

If you want to get into tech diving, and trimix, I would say Abyss, OMS and Dive Rite are your three main choices. Our shop has the Abyss computers on order right now, and they really aren't that expensive (about $700 retail). Of course, they are new so we haven't tried them out yet. But our shop is really getting into the tech diving thing, so I'll let you know how they are once we get them.

Hi Steve,

I've been using Dive Rite Nitek 3 for any technical diving. It has 3 mixex up to 100 meters an a gauge mode up to 200. It's a very good computer even though it's extremely conservative.
The abyss explorer seems to be very good also but it has to few dives on it yet and Chriss Parret himself (the head of Abyss) admits that there are a fem more bugs.
The VR3 (OMS) has, as far as I know, at least one year of severe testing before iot was put to the market.

For my trimix dives I use my nitek 3 as a bottom timer and a Beuchat MCD II bottom timer as back up bottom timer.

For gas switches you can also use the Zeagle Status II though it does not work (on purpose) deeper than 67 meters.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom