Tech, DIR, and other Acronyms.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool thats the information I was looking for. Great site with lots of great help.

As for myself. I am a 48 year old diver that did his first dives (uncertified) when I was 18. My brother and I were in Ohau and found this "American Dive Shop" that would take us all over. Looking back was probably not the smartest move for either of us, but we were both competitive swimmers and I was a life guard, so felt very comfortable in the water. We used these cool rigs with a hose over each shoulder and these big round masks. We did a cave dive to a place they called Sharks Cove, although we didnt see any sharks, but the cave was really cool.

Then I had kids. no money followed shortly.

Had my daughters snorkeling when they were 3 and 5, yes we taught them to swim early. People thought we were nuts when we did a trip to molokini (sp?) with these young girls. They had a blast, and shamed a couple of people to getting in the water if a 3 year old could do it. ( she was almost 4)

In 2005 I was certified and was waiting until one of my daughters was interested enough to join me. We are heading back to mexico in 3 weeks and I retook the OWD course with her. We just finished buy all new gear, and cant wait.

Really hoping to get my wife involved with diving. I managed to get her snorkeling, but she grew up without ever being in a pool and with a fear of water and when we got married, she figgured she should learn to swim. I have had her snorkeling, but she is nervous in deep water. I give her a lot of credit, because it is not an easy fear to overcome.

My goals are to do a lot of diving now that I have a partner. Would kill to dive with some whales, have already snorkelled with some way too curious dolphins. Last trip to mexico, I dove one of the cenotes, but much prefer the reefs around cozumel.
So the first dive you did was a double hose dive with an oval mask without a certification back in 1979, I love it! As long as you knew the basic do's and dont's and were comfortable in a pinch it sounds like you had a great time. Back in the day (way back) that's how a lot of people did it.
There are lot's of people on this board who dive vintage with double hose regulators, me being one of them. It has become quite popular once again with a niche group and has been "reborn" to a degree.

So along with the dork divers, the regular recreational divers, the technical divers, the DIR-GUE-UTD divers,
there are also the the Minimalists and the Vintage divers.

Wow, how diving has fragmented!

just a hint - if you're searching here on sb (scubaboard), you need a wildcard for terms less than four letters. so you search 'dir*' not 'dir' or 'gue*' not 'gue'.

So, now with your daughter in tow, you need to make sure you are not a SOB!

Same Ocean Buddy. In the same ocean on the same day, but not at all aware of his buddy, and maybe not even within sight. LOL!

Have fun!

theskull

BabyDuck - Thanks, never thought of the wild card.

The Skull - I suspect that we will always be within a breath if not closer. I grew up with a pilot, becaume a pilot, and the one thing he taught me was that "Airplanes dont crash, pilots do". I strongly believe in safety first. Thus teaching the kids to swim at the same time as teaching to walk. Just a simply safety thing if we were going to be taking them out in the boat during the summer. My daughter is 1 course short of her life guard, and my other daughter is one, so I am confindent in her skills. She is excited and a bit nervous. She is terrified that we will see a shark, but also talks about how cool it will be, then I reminded her that I did see one while we were snorkeling (she didnt), even showed her the picture, and commentend on how it didnt eat us. Of course I didnt comment on the fact that it was a nurse shark :). But it helped drive home the point. One of the questions I asked her after our course, was, "So can you rescue me? Do you feel confident enough to do that?" I simply got the look of "Dad!".

Thanks for all the responses!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom