Tech 1 Experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericfine50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

I am thinking of taking a tech 1 class next fall. Was curious what people liked,didn't like. Would you recommend the class? Pros and Cons/

Thanks guys
Eric

I would definitely recommend Tech 1. I took it with Andrew and found it to be quite demanding yet passable. GUE does have a high failure rate on the class but I attribute most of it to the fact that many people come totally unprepared. It's not to be taken lightly; you will earn your certification. I see that you are Full Cave certified so I imagine your skills are pretty good. Come June 1st DIRF will be a prerequisite but I would suggest it first anyway if you haven't taken it. Not only for the skills but Tech 1 builds on many of the topics initially addressed in Fundamentals that I haven't seen covered else ware.
I would suggest that you take it with AG. Not that there are not other instructors that are as good. Tech 1 teaches many new concepts that are not published anywhere else. Andrew has developed very good ways of getting that knowledge across and teaches by far the most Tech 1 classes. He therefore is better able to teach without confusing the audience.
Don't buy into all the crap about it being a free for all either. MANY equipment problems will occur but they happen in a very controlled way. Just don't get discouraged if you can't handle it all. You're not supposed to. You will be tested UNTIL you fail. It isn't until the last dive when you will be allowed to do something right.
I really can't think of any cons for the class. You get a lot of training for your money. The days are long though. Longer if people are having lots of trouble. Expect 12-14 hour days without lunch breaks. You eat while you learn. Take all notes in your Wetnotes. They will be the only think you can use on the written test. Forget what you think you know. GUE does everything differently. Their philosophy seems to be if you can't do it in your head it's too complicated.
Good luck and have fun. You'll either love it or hate it.

Josh

Thanks guys,

I took my Fundy class with AG, Dan Mackey, and there associates last Aug in Plymouth, MA. It was a great class. If I do take the class, I think I am leaning towards taking it with Dan. Some great diving in Canada and I hear he has a great operation.

Eric

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom